Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

guys, don't spend money on rods and reels for this trip.  there will be plenty of gear.  get an assortment of 1/0, 3/0 and 5/0 hooks, maybe some a few 4, 8 and 12 ounce sinkers, some 30, 40 and 50 pound fluoro leader if you want, and a goofy straw hat.  you could literally board with a shaving kit and clothes for the week and do just fine.  don't forget plenty of sunscreen.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 29, 2014, 03:17:52 PM
....and a goofy straw hat. 

I have that covered. 

I don't do sunscreen but I avoid over exposure.  I live at high altitude and have learned how to avoid nasty sunburn in the last 60 or so years.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

...and a goofy straw hat...

may i board without this... ;D ;D ;D  on a serious note do you a have a rod, 30-60/80, for sale? or anyone for that matter. thanks much!  oops! forgot about the Want to Buy, Borrow or Trade Board.

Big Tim

Alan I wish I had found this site before I spent all that $$$ on gear, but at least me and my sons will have nice gear to fish with for many years to come ;D ;D ;D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Keta on March 29, 2014, 03:00:13 PM
I have more than enough 6'6"-7' 40# rods if you need to borrow one.

Lee, thanks much! but my concern is putting it mildly "THINGS HAPPEN".

MarkT

I've got a nice 765xl you can use if your 765L needs a little brother. I've got a Seeker CJB65H that J.AkuHed wrapped me for my birthday years ago that's nice for 40# too. Randy at Seeker said it was the closest you'd get to a classic 865xh in a composite rod.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

man! am i glad i'm an Ohana member. :) :) :)

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Mel B on March 29, 2014, 04:22:38 PM
...and a goofy straw hat...

may i board without this... ;D ;D ;D  on a serious note do you a have a rod, 30-60/80, for sale? or anyone for that matter. thanks much!  oops! forgot about the Want to Buy, Borrow or Trade Board.

I have a Penn Senator (30-60# 6-1/2 ft.) rod never been fished. It's matched up to a 113H with 40# mono and I plan to sell both individually or together at the end of the trip. I'd like to try my full-modded 113H before I say goodbye to it. Anyone is welcome to try whatever I'm not using at the moment.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Big Tim

Alan & Bryan: Parts arrived today ;D ;D ;D thank you...Few more pieces to the puzzle next week, then I build my 112H...Most likely will need help.

Tim

Big Tim

OK, so now I've done this...What is my next step? My thinking is a Beer ;D ;D ;D

Actually: Brake cleaner or Carb cleaner?

Tim

Ron Jones

I'd say,
Wire brush with grease, elbow grease, 5+1 kit from Bryan, a stainless gear sleeve and some TSI. One of Alan's handles wouldn't hurt.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Big Tim

Quote from: noyb72 on March 31, 2014, 11:18:04 PM
I'd say,
Wire brush with grease, elbow grease, 5+1 kit from Bryan, a stainless gear sleeve and some TSI. One of Alan's handles wouldn't hurt.
Ron

Ron I have all those parts already & the brush...TSI ... gun cleaner? I may have that too...I have 2 cans of brake cleaner in the garage and figure that to be the safest?
Tim

Ron Jones

TSI is a lubricant that is popular with guys on here. I know some guys use gun cleaner but brake cleaner works great.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

according to the guys as TSI, the us secret service uses tsi 321 and the aerosol for their service weapons. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Alan -

I know you said more than once not to go out and buy a bunch of stuff, but sometime could you post a list of what has worked before so if we have it we can bring it? A list might include colors and patterns of irons, plastics, trolling lures; and terminal tackle, etc. You have already mentioned hooks, sinkers, 30-40-50 pound rigs, but having it all in one place would help. Right now, I'm using the Spirit of Adventure list and your previous info as a starting point.

http://www.spiritofadventurefishing.com/news/fishing-tackle

Thanks,

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD