Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

Mel: If none of that works, we will just use my backup

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

sweet! 2SP HX? on my list to buy for next yr's SDLR trip. is the rod a 765 series?

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on March 27, 2014, 11:49:30 PM
sweet! 2SP HX? on my list to buy for next yr's SDLR trip. is the rod a 765 series?

Yup...Hx 5/2 ... The rod is a Rainshadow composite 40-80...A guy in Indiana makes them & was advertising them as a west coast rail rod. I asked if he would make a blacked out version and he asked if he could add some extras for free and market the blacked out version...Of coarse I told him he could add all the freebie's he wanted  ;D ;D ;D

Tightlines667

I've never fished this style fishing...
but that is one sweet looking 'backup' combo!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Tim, are you going to troll with this combo? I've decided not to bring my MAK 20 because Alan T. will bring, i think, 5 combos for trolling duties.

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on March 28, 2014, 01:18:20 AM
Tim, are you going to troll with this combo? I've decided not to bring my MAK 20 because Alan T. will bring, i think, 5 combos for trolling duties.

Mel: I think we could troll this??? It's 7' but has a long butt for rail fishing. Also I scored a 30 year old Daiwa SLT30 and a great deal on a G. Loomis 60-100 all roller to troll...I would have never sold all my other custom gear and Lamiglas stuff that I had and upgraded to what I have now if my original plans were to go on this trip...I was on another trip and my friends business pulled their sponsorship & his free ride! So by divine intervention I found you guys!!! How luck can a guy get ;D ;D ;D

This was to be my trolling reel:

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Tim, luck is also on our side for having you here... :)  yeah that's the reel you recently worked on huh? and also things happen for a reason...

joel8080

Tim

I have the same reel with the original teak handle bought from Minervia's at Carbo San Lucas in 1985 still have it and it's a great reel just a little heavy.

Joel

Oceanside,California

Big Tim

Quote from: joel8080 on March 28, 2014, 02:15:21 AM
Tim

I have the same reel with the original teak handle bought from Minervia's at Carbo San Lucas in 1985 still have it and it's a great reel just a little heavy.

Joel

Joel:The words are "Boat Anchor" SEXY AS HE@% though & with a Alan T. handle ... This reel is how I found this site! Very cool story.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

is the CARBW765L good dropper loop ???

MarkT

It's Penn's take on the Calstar Grafighter 765L in their Carnage lineup. I'd guess it's probably good for 40-50#. I have a Seeker 6465H in that line class that I've used for 50#.  I caught the YT in my avatar pic on it.  I've since moved on to a Phenix 700XH for this year.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: MarkT on March 29, 2014, 04:17:08 AM
...Phenix 700XH for this year.

i need/want at least 3 more rods and it's on my list of rods to buy. but at the same time if i can use my 765L for a 60# dropper loop then i don't neet to buy a lot of rods. i'm also thinking of renting the rods i need. but at the same time if it's expensive i'm better off buying. 

thanks much!

Porthos

Quote from: Mel B on March 29, 2014, 11:24:16 AM
i need/want at least 3 more rods and it's on my list of rods to buy. but at the same time if i can use my 765L for a 60# dropper loop then i don't neet to buy a lot of rods. i'm also thinking of renting the rods i need. but at the same time if it's expensive i'm better off buying. 

thanks much!

Jedi powers are telling me that there's going to be plenty of gear on board without the need to rent. Just bring the 765L and not worry about it...

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Porthos on March 29, 2014, 12:22:20 PM
Jedi powers are telling me that there's going to be plenty of gear on board without the need to rent. Just bring the 765L and not worry about it...

true...

Keta

I have more than enough 6'6"-7' 40# rods if you need to borrow one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain