lubricants discussed by jim nomura

Started by alantani, June 22, 2010, 09:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

it's pretty detailed (meaning long) but there is alot of great information in it.  take a look.  alan

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1018.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

melkapule

I have used TSI 301 for my firearms for 20 years. I always thought it would be a good reel lubricant. I'll be using it more frequently after reading the post by Nomura, Thank you.

Bryan Young

Awesome write up Jim.  :D

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I have a question.  After cleaning the bearings, dipping it in TSI301, and packing it with grease, is that overdoing it or a waste?  I think, on my Abu, we dipped it in TSI301, allowed it to settle, then applied xtreme reel.  Smooth as butter and free spool was great, but not sure of the chemical interaction.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BigT

Thanks for the great info Jim. ;D

Yet again another product that I can't find locally in Australia... Oh well, time to pull out the PayPal details again...

Cheers, BigT
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

JGB

Thanks guys for the replys!

Alan asked me to do a write up and I sent him the preliminay which he has posted.

To bring a little clarity on the use of TSI 301 and 321.

301 is 321 with a solvent mix to improve the 'cleaning' properties when applied (breaks rust and bullet residue from adhearing to the metal surfaces). There is approx 9 parts solvent to 1 part 321 in the 301 product.

How to get the most from 301 and 321:

Use it sparingly - less than 1 drop in a bearing for 301 and 1/10 that for 321. you need only enough to to coat a very thin film on the bearing surfaces. More than that will will be wasted and slow the free spool slightly.

For those ou you who want  the best free spool try the following:

Apply 301 to you open bearings and then promptly blow them 'dry'. This effectivlly removes any excess 301 leaving only a thin flim in place. You will have great freespool that will last a long time.

Warning TSI 301 and 321 should NOT be used together with grease!!!! The TSI will migrate to the metal surface and force the grease loose rendering the grease useless. For greased bearings use grease only.

Jim N.

Reels Man

Definitely some good information,

will be trying the TSI 321 product on some of the bass size reels that I mainly work on, but was wondering if there is a process to remove the 301 or 321 from a bearing once it has been treated.

Say if you took a greased bearing from a reel, cleaned it and then treated it with TSI 321, then for some reason decided you wanted to convert that particular bearing back to a greased bearing.

Can that bearing be effectively cleaned to where the TSI 321 doesn't repel the grease or is the TSI 321 a permanent application.

Russell
Russell's Reel Service - Service, Repair & Parts for all brands of fishin' reels.

Bryan Young

Hi Jim,

Okay, now for my the stupid questions for the minute. 

Would it be best to first treat the reel with TSI301, then during the subsequent servicing use TSI321?  Or, just use TSI301?  If this is the case, when would you use TSI321?

Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Hi Jim,

After speaking with you and Alan yesterday regarding TSI 301 versus TSI 321, I looked up the information available again and have another question.

You stated "Warning TSI 301 and 321 should NOT be used together with grease!!!! The TSI will migrate to the metal surface and force the grease loose rendering the grease useless. For greased bearings use grease only."  Would it be safe to clean out greased bearings, treat it with TSI, and not repack the bearings based upon TSI's study Gear Box Test (to me, the gear box is a high pressure area like greased bearings)?  Also, do you know if a TSI treated bearing, blown out any excess, then packed with grease will turn to slush or will it be a good suspense medium for the bearings?

Thank you.
Bryan

JGB

Bryan,

Applying TSI to a greased bearing will simply cause the grease to slosh around and not stick to the metal surfaces. If you TSI treat, blow it out and grease the grease will just fill the space and provide very little lubrication. Hmmm wonder if a TSI treated bearing and then packed with grease will block water intrusion and still retain the free spool???
If you try to brush on grease to a previously TSI treated metal it will not want to stick and just slide around. I 'think' you could remove residual TSI with many repeated solvent washing. This is because the TSI will soak into the pores of the metal like a sponge and removing it will be like trying to get the soap out of a sponge - a lot of squeezing and rinsing.

Jim N.

alantani

russ, don't listen to these guys. they worry too much and they've got too much time on their hands.  just clean the bearing with carb cleaner and blow it out with compressed air, then dunk it in tsi 301.  the more the merrier.  want to grease it later?  go ahead.  the main purpose of then grease is to block water intrusion, so grease away and don't give it a second thought.  ;D

Bryan Young

Sorry, I am part engineer.  I tend to over think (engineer).  One of my many flaws.  Sometimes good enough is just that, good enough.

alantani

i appreciate your attention to detail!

Reels Man

I hear you Alan,

I like reading the stuff Jim writes and I sometimes get to thinking like Bryan so I guess I'm in trouble as I also have Engineer beside my name.

Russ
Russell's Reel Service - Service, Repair & Parts for all brands of fishin' reels.