Jigmaster Stainless Steel Main Gear Only

Started by Lensters, April 02, 2014, 02:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lensters

Would people be interested in just a stainless steel main gear for 500s that is meant to work the original (13-500) pinion gear?  If we could reach a minimum quantity the price would be in the $25-$30 range.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Ron Jones

I missed this the first time. I would be interested in this for certain.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

rscotth

Lensters

Quote from: Keta on April 03, 2014, 02:00:22 AM
I'd like them in bronze.

I'm not really following you Lee, are the OEMs bronze?

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Lensters

Quote from: Keta on April 05, 2014, 01:24:24 AM
Brass

I'm not up on metallurgy so I had to lookup the difference.  Tin instead of zinc, makes sense that it would make a better part for a salty reel.  I wonder why anyone uses brass around saltwater given bronze is so much better.  Do you think that bronze is better than stainless for salty reels or just for these main gears?

Keta

Smoother.  Brass is easier to machine than SS or bronze.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Monel would be the best I think,but who can afford that? Silicon bronze is probably the best compromise.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on April 05, 2014, 02:09:01 AM
Monel would be the best I think,but who can afford that? Silicon bronze is probably the best compromise.
Ronald

Monel or inconel would be perfect!!!

Mark Twain

Lensters

This is a comment I made about being an engineer brought into sales meetings to validate sale's and marketing's claims...

I remember so many of these meetings. Sales and marketing have such a hard time grasping reality.

Change the value of gravity? No problem, we'll just build it on the moon. All you (marketing or sales) has to do it get finance to approve the required expenditures.

Yep, anything is possible, any timeline is reasonable, it just that the bean counters tend not to approve of spending billions to make millions.

Bronze seems realistic in intent and function but I'm afraid we have a marketing problem (ackkk... I can't believe I wrote that).  Most sales would require spelling out the difference between bronze and brass to convince the purchaser the product is worthy of the price.  However, most buyers would have missed the opportunity altogether as they are sold on stainless without a solid reason.  I know I was before I did some research.  Therefore I think that we are stuck going with stainless unless someone starts a "bronze crusade".

Monel or Iconel gears inside titanium side plates would make a great reel but the market for six figure reels is probably too small to consider.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Lensters on April 05, 2014, 02:49:16 AM

Monel or Iconel gears inside titanium side plates would make a great reel but the market for six figure reels is probably too small to consider.

Inconel and Monel are just high temp alloys, designed to maintain their strength and corrosion resistance at absurdly high temperatures. Titanium isn't a good candidate for gears either. 

For high strength and good corrosion resistance, 17-4 PH stainless is a good choice, and many manufacturers use that in high end reels.  The material price is t too far from titanium, but it machines far better, is stronger, and more than corrosion resistant enough for life inside a saltwater reel. 

Marine bronze or aluminum bronze is very well suited to gears, especially in a corrosive environment because of its combination of good strength, good wear properties, smoothness, and great corrosion resistance.  Another very common choice for gears.   There is a reason why engineers for big manufacturers continue to spec out these 2 materials for gears in high end reels.

316 SS is weak compared to those, especially the 17-4, which can have 5 times the yield strength of 316. The only thing 316 really has going for it is that it specifically resists salt water corrosion. 

Keta

Inconel 360 makes good trim screw jacks and gears and is close to impervious to corrosion.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Since we have our top part making reel heads here on the same post. Let me Blurt out something totally out of context. Forgive me of any Ignorance. ;)
I know pretty much nothing about the Metals that you Gentlemen speak of other than the stainless.
We have pretty much come up with so many Hot Rod parts, Thanks to you guys ;D and Alan of Course that the possibilities seem endless. Its all about the Money.
Alan T has provided us with some top notch ss gear Sleeves for just about every reel that needs them up to the 9/0. Are his sleeves made of 316? I know Alan Chui has provided us with some legendary gear sets made of 316. Sal seems to have pushed the 316 pinion to its limits on the 9/0 with the Hex Gears. Now Alan C is having replacements made of 416.
Lee has made us countless high tech parts, from Handles to Inserts.
My point of focus here is on the Larger Penn gear sleeves. Mainly the 12, 14 and 16/0 in stainless. Why has no one tried this, but Electramate, that charges $100 a sleeve.
Forgive me if I'm being out of line, I just want your guys take on this.
Life is Good!

Keta

Mark Twain