My 9/0 project

Started by Three se7ens, April 05, 2014, 02:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Bula Adam,
I'll want to start by saying.. I can't wait to see your bridge & sleeve, and I would like IN !!  Wow man.
and I'm not discounting your idea.   "I think a 9/0 with an aluminum frame and all SS guts is a pretty good start."
I was basing my comment not so much on line capacity but more on advantage gained by bigger spool diameter
9/0 vs 12/0,16/0 .....the winch factor.
Spool that thing with mono instead of braid, and IF & when you lose the big ones, the price tag won't be nearly as high  ;D

On the boat, If i knew I had a big shark on, I'd just park that big rig in a gunnel holder for the fight and crank that sucker in till it's time to land it. Your SS guts can handle it... so YOU won't have to  ;D

Keep up the good work mate!

Tightlines667

Nice bridge Adam!  ..you guys never cease to amaze.

Eric..2hrs @20 hooked into a nice fish w/that TLD?  Wow, any signs of wear for the worse on the internals?  I've always hoped a nice fish would pick up a bait on one of the TLDs, course when I was fishing them we were running str8 mono and much smaller drags.  You can still land a big fish, just gotta use the boat, and take your time.  Too bad you lost her.

Lee, I like the look of those inserts, and thanks for the tip on doubling up on thin hex CFs, I've got some cut and may give it a try when I've got time.  The stack doesn't get too 'spongy' on you?  Also, any chance you could make one of those custom hex templates/cutters so I can cut more precise 6/0 washers.  Mine have been rounding off, and I was thinking of buying sum thicker laminated CF, but I've still got some thin sheet left.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Adam,

just a suggestion. bring bigger guns with you "just in case" your 9/0 explodes... ;) :)

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 05, 2014, 08:05:04 AM
  Also, any chance you could make one of those custom hex templates/cutters so I can cut more precise 6/0 washers.  Mine have been rounding off, and I was thinking of buying sum thicker laminated CF, but I've still got some thin sheet left.

Because they are all R&D there is a variety of versions, measure across the flats and send me a photo and I'll try.  If what I send is close but not exactly right you can file it to fit.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

.140 sheet is the way to go on these. If you can find it.
Life is Good!

Keta

I have a small amount of .025" (.635mm) titanium sheet and some .020" (.508mm) stainless and I'm thinking about gluing some .020" CF to both sides and see how that works.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cortez_Conversions

Nice work on the bridge!
Let us know when you are in production on these, I'll take a few!
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Nice job on that bridge plate Adam.
Since you have the equipment, you should try to make one out of plexiglass, it would help find the location for the two dogs on that bridge much easier.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

floating doc

Quote from: Keta on April 05, 2014, 02:19:54 PM
I have a small amount of .025" (.635mm) titanium sheet and some .020" (.508mm) stainless and I'm thinking about gluing some .020" CF to both sides and see how that works.

that's an interesting idea!
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 05, 2014, 05:47:33 PM
Since you have the equipment, you should try to make one out of plexiglass, it would help find the location for the two dogs on that bridge much easier.
Just let me know what size and Thickness. That stuff is expensive if you go buy it.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 05, 2014, 05:47:33 PM
If you want one, I'd be happy to cut a few plexiglass ones.

I'll be cutting new dogs, so I added them into the drawing I did for the bridge.

The red is the spool inside diameter, and the outside diameter of the main gear.
The blue is the ratchet.
The teal is the new dogs.
The green is the bridge.

erikpowell

Nice Adam...  Look at all those teeth !!!   ;)

Alto Mare

Very nice Adam, but it doesn't show if the plate needs grinding, the plexiglass would ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 05, 2014, 09:52:46 PM
Very nice Adam, but it doesn't show if the plate needs grinding, the plexiglass would ;D.

I already know it will.  My side plate is solid on the side where the second dog goes.  But I do plan on cutting a template for the grinding, and using my milling machine.

I think the 12 tooth ratchet works better with simultaneous dog engagement than the original 8 tooth.  The engagement angle of the second dog on my drawing on the right looks less than ideal. 

Three se7ens

Handle arm finished, still trying to decide between round and t-bar handle for it. 

Still working on the dogs and such, it's been frustrating trying to get the tolerances right on such small parts when the waterjet needs a new ballscrew on one axis.