My 9/0 project

Started by Three se7ens, April 05, 2014, 02:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I picked up a beautiful 9/0' along with one of Dom's aluminum frames from a member here recently.  Since I can't seem to leave anything well enough alone, I've already started tearing into it.

First up, SS bridge.  Just test fitting now, once I get everything situated, I'll weld the gear sleeve support to the bridge. 

Shark Hunter

You are putting a lot of Irons in the Fire Adam! Keep it up Buddy! ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Three se7ens

As far as how my projects go, Im going pretty basic on this one.  All SS guts, but trying not to reinvent the wheel the whole time.  I do have a 12 tooth ratchet drawn up, and I started machining a brass gear sleeve to accept a separate ratchet, like the the 113hn.  I also plan on machining the brass gear sleeve to 4 flats, just to see what kind of drag numbers I can get from it.  Im in no rush to start cutting up my SS gear sleeve, those things aren't cheap.

Shark Hunter

When Alan Chui (aka Black Pearl) gets his revised pinion finished for the 9/0 Hex Gears. I suggest you get a set of those. It doubles the Drag Capacity. ;)
The one with the Full Gold Frame has a stainless sleeve, yoke, double dogs and springs and a Stainless Hex Gear set from Black Pearl. Stainless Arm from Lee.
I guess the only parts that aren't ss are the rings, spool and screws. ;D

Life is Good!

Keta

Your bridges look nice!!!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Three se7ens

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 05, 2014, 04:31:51 AM
When Alan Chui (aka Black Pearl) gets his revised pinion finished for the 9/0 Hex Gears. I suggest you get a set of those. It doubles the Drag Capacity. ;)
The one with the Full Gold Frame has a stainless sleeve, yoke, double dogs and springs and a Stainless Hex Gear set from Black Pearl. Stainless Arm from Lee.
I guess the only parts that aren't ss are the rings, spool and screws. ;D

sounds like it needs a stainless bridge...

My engineers mindset has a problem with hex gears,  It loads the cf washers in the wrong place.  Ever wondered why pretty much every reel that comes form the factory with fixed carbon fiber washers uses half round ears instead of a hex shape?  Ill be machining a standard gear for mine.

Keta

I was rounding off the small 60 size CF washers in a hex insert but when I doubled up the CF washers the problem went away.  Now that we have figured out how to cut CF I will have come adapters like below cut and CF washers to fit for the small gears.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

He offers the gears in regular drag stack configuration as well. I'm not trying to put in a plug or anything, but the Hex has been Sal tested to 50lbs. Probably 30 is all I could hold on to for any amount of Time. I can handle a 12/0 at full lock down pretty easily in a Harness and Belt on the Sand. That's probably around 25 lbs. It takes a pretty big fish to pull that Drag for any amount of time. ;)
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 05, 2014, 04:55:11 AM
He offers the gears in regular drag stack configuration as well. I'm not trying to put in a plug or anything, but the Hex has been Sal tested to 50lbs. Probably 30 is all I could hold on to for any amount of Time. I can handle a 12/0 at full lock down pretty easily in a Harness and Belt on the Sand. That's probably around 25 lbs. It takes a pretty big fish to pull that Drag for any amount of time. ;)

The last 8' tiger i caught pulled 25 lbs for an hour.  The 9 footer i caught 2 years ago pulled nearly 20 lbs for 4 hours.  Im not even going to consider that 14' hammerhead without knowing I can push 40+ lbs.  For the record though, 25 lbs for an hour with nothing more than a rod belt SUCKS...

Im aiming for a reel than can run 45 lbs for longer than I can, even with a bucket harness.  I think a 9/0 with an aluminum frame and all SS guts is a pretty good start.

Shark Hunter

Don't take this the wrong way Adam. I'm just giving you my perspective. If you want 45 lbs of extended drag time. The 9/0 is not your Huckleberry. Even If this reel was entirely made of stainless, I don't think it has the Kahuna's. There is only one reel I want to be holding on to in the fight of my Life and that's the 14/0. I have 5 of these Bad Boys. With 1000 yard Capacity of 130lb test. One was made by Sal Himself, and Hopefully I will be putting it to the test here in a couple weeks. It has the coveted Stainless Sleeve. I kayak my baits out about a hundred yards, AJ's, Bonita, and Rays.
I am only fishing a 12 and a 14/0 on this trip. I'll be on the sand, No Boat, Just Man VS Fish!
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

being on a boat, i dont have to worry about line abrasion as much, as long as the shark hears away from the wreck. As for the drag, Ill find out what the reel is capable of, or the shark is capable of.  If the reel is lacking, I can fix that.  If the shark is lacking, then I dont have a problem :D

If I grenade the plastic side plates, Ill just have a good reason to machine some aluminum ones...

Shark Hunter

Hopefully the Shark Gods will Shine on both of Us! The main factor is being Safe and coming home with all our limbs. Good Luck to you Buddy. I mean that. ;)
Life is Good!

erikpowell

I fought my 150lb tuna at 27lbs for about an hour on my DomTom'd Stock 9/0. harnessed.
then I fought another bigger one at 20lbs on a TLD 2sp for over two hours.

If your talking 8', 10' and 14' sharks!!  :o :o ... Like Daron, I'd have to say leave the 9/0 home. You'll probably be under gunned.
You'd surely rather have a bigger winch than a 9/0. It'd do wonders for ya man.

Three se7ens

When youre on a boat, the line capacity doesnt matter as much.  Ive caught 6 or 7 sharks over 7' on my okume cavalla 15, spooled with 80 lb braid.  I typically set the drag at 20 lbs strike and 25 lbs max on that reel, and its rare than I get even 1/3 of the spool out on that one.  I lost half a spool of braid to this hammerhead last year though, and I feel like i owe it something...