Capt Ahab

Remote location in Northern DE

7' St. Croix Premier
Revo SS Spinner
Brroken Back Bomber at night - Ohhh yeah

http://

http://

Alto Mare

Nice capt! I'm guessing 38" and just about the same in weight, it's a fat one. Thanks for sharing, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

do i miss the NE? !@#$ YEAH! niiiiiiice, thanks for sharing... 8)

SacFly

Nice work.  I went out one night last week, but got skunked.  I'll try again this week.  There are whispers of fish being caught on Long Island already....

Capt Ahab

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 07, 2014, 10:13:52 AM
Nice capt! I'm guessing 38" and just about the same in weight, it's a fat one. Thanks for sharing, Sal

Yeah right around there - no formal measurements

Bryan Young

Sweet Capt. 

By the way, when I've gone striper fishing here in California, when hooked, they spin like an aligator death roll, and if I recall, in a clockwise direction.  Do they do the same in the east?

Used to mess up my line because I have fished fly-lining live anchovies...just hook and anchovies...no swivel or anything.  Was fun though.  New line on every trip.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Capt Ahab

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 07, 2014, 03:26:53 PM
Sweet Capt. 

By the way, when I've gone striper fishing here in California, when hooked, they spin like an aligator death roll, and if I recall, in a clockwise direction.  Do they do the same in the east?

Never - they make decent runs, bulldog head shakes  - never had one roll? Never heard of one rolling like that

We are talking Striped bass (aka Rockfish) correct???

Alto Mare

Yeah, most times they'll come in with very little fight, can't say that about Blues.

No rolling Bry Bry...no more beer for you when striper fishing ;D.
You know, its really called stripper fishing, but somehow that doesn't sound right together with beer. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I'm taking about striper fishing.  We come out of San Francisco ban and head down the coast and back the boat into the surf, cast our lines out and pull the boat out of the surf then wait for the stripes to come through and wham the fun begins.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Bryan, maybe your line is actually hitting the gill plate? Pretty darn sharp, could chew up the line. Maybe?
luck is the residue of design.

Capt Ahab

That is crazy that the west coast stripers will roll and act so much differently then their east coast ancestors

They are all from the same stock - must be something in the water?

Bucktail

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 07, 2014, 03:26:53 PM
Sweet Capt.  

By the way, when I've gone striper fishing here in California, when hooked, they spin like an aligator death roll, and if I recall, in a clockwise direction.  Do they do the same in the east?

Used to mess up my line because I have fished fly-lining live anchovies...just hook and anchovies...no swivel or anything.  Was fun though.  New line on every trip.

I've never experienced a striper spinning like that. 

Sal, you don't think stripers fight?  In my experience they fight differently than a bluefish, but they definitely fight hard.  Love striper fishing!
Just a jig-a-lo

philaroman

actually, that happens sometimes w/ transplanted species -- they may all be descended from a relatively small brood stock; some unusual trait may get reinforced through inbreeding; & cause behavior that's drastically different from populations, elsewhere

look at the Asian Silver Carp invading North America: they're all descended from a small group of some weird, extra-skittish strain; go psycho at the sound of a boat motor & jump several feet in the air (in some areas they have virtually shut down recreational boating, due to injuries -- imagine running into a 20-40# hard-headed fish @ 20mph) NONE of the Silver Carp in Asia do that!

in other words, Bryan, your Stripers are probably inbred mutants  :o  ...just bad stocking practices, I guess: your DNR probably "squeezed" all the introductions out of the same small brood stock.  Instead, they should have used several different genetic variations, from different geographical areas of the native range.  as I understand, Delaware Stripers are slightly different from Chesapeake Stripers, slightly different from NE Stripers, and so on...  and none of them roll like gaters   :-\

Bryan Young

Then you guys would love these.  It's fun fighting a rolling fish trying to unlodge the hook by rolling. 

These stripers run in the surf looking for bait fish to eat, and maybe the rolling is from their tumbling in the surf.  Interesting though.

I gotta so striper fishing and film the catch next time.

Bucktail

That rolling sounds like the way a dogfish fights and tangles itself up your line. :P
Just a jig-a-lo