Penn Manual bail kit

Started by maxpowers, April 10, 2014, 08:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I was looking at that too Max. I just put myself like I was fishing it. I have fished spinners all my life. What if the line goes slack for whatever reason. The bail can't get your line back on the roller and you will just make a mess of your line wrapped around your reel, not the spool. That's how I see it.
Life is Good!

maxpowers

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 10, 2014, 09:14:29 PM
I was looking at that too Max. I just put myself like I was fishing it. I have fished spinners all my life. What if the line goes slack for whatever reason. The bail can't get your line back on the roller and you will just make a mess of your line wrapped around your reel, not the spool. That's how I see it.

Daron,

I really don't know but many of the east cost surf fishermen like the bail-less option.

Shark Hunter

It very Well might be the best thing since sliced bread. ;D I just don't know anything about it.
Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

or if you have a 9500SS this kit's design, manual pickup, is better. it's similar to the 706Z's...

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/69-9500.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

SacFly

Never seen one for the SS's, but I use bail-less 704s for both bait and plugging.  Problems with the line coming off the roller simply never happen, even when deadsticking bait.  

The main advantage to bail-less is that there is nothing to snap shut mid-cast.  Throwing heavier baits or bigger plugs, if the bail closes mid-cast the lure flies off into the sunset.

Made the switch 6 years ago after switching to braid.  Have never considered going back.  The best surf spinners made, van staal and ZeeBass, are both bail-less.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

and the now the torques have bail-less versions too...

maxpowers

I think the only thing that I would not use a bail-less spinner would be fishing live bait.  I am not sure if I can set the line on the roller if the fish take off with my bait.  with the bail, i could close the bail.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Mel B on April 10, 2014, 09:32:26 PM
or if you have a 9500SS this kit's design, manual pickup, is better. it's similar to the 706Z's...

No need for the link Mel, here we can show it mounted on the reel ;) ;D

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

here's a how to, maybe it can help;

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2014, 10:14:06 PM
No need for the link Mel, here we can show it mounted on the reel ;) ;D

that's what i'm talking about...:)

BMITCH

Guys have been going bail less on the SS series for awhile now. That said it's more a plugging thing then a bait n wait.
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Well, If its good enough for Sal, It must be better than Sliced bread! ;)
I can see me having a problem with it though. I have been using a spinning reel for 40 years. I also have two trucks. One is manual, the other is Automatic. It never fails when I get in the automatic, I always grab for the gear shift that isn't there. ::)
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 11, 2014, 12:14:10 AM
Well, If its good enough for Sal, It must be better than Sliced bread! ;)
I can see me having a problem with it though. I have been using a spinning reel for 40 years. I also have two trucks. One is manual, the other is Automatic. It never fails when I get in the automatic, I always grab for the gear shift that isn't there. ::)

I do it too, as well as press on left foot on thread pedal...

Bailless has intrigued me, but I've never tried it.

LTM

Quote from: Mel B on April 10, 2014, 09:32:26 PM

Mel,

What makes you say the Scotts manual bail is a better design than the ebay option? They both seem VERY SIMILAR/IDENTICAL!

Leo