Siwash hook size...?

Started by Aiala, April 14, 2014, 03:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

What is the purpose of the open eye?  I see that as a detriment, too many sharp edges.  Old Saltydog posted a thread on making lures and showed how to tie them on.  I tied several but haven't tested them yet.  Wallace is right on about putting a rubber band on to hold the hook facing out.  Also this is another incidence where size matters.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on April 15, 2014, 05:21:44 PM
What is the purpose of the open eye? 

Once I've cut off the old treble, I close the open eye on the lure's ring with a pair of vise-grip pliers. Works great!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

bluefish69

A

Never cut the ring on the lure or jig or what ever. You cut the hook off at that ring. If the new hook has an open eye use that to connect to the lure. If not use a Split Ring.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Dominick on April 15, 2014, 05:21:44 PM
What is the purpose of the open eye?

a guess, i've been looking at the CA irons and it seems from the photos the lures have solid rings...

Aiala

Quote from: bluefish69 on April 15, 2014, 07:53:26 PM
Never cut the ring on the lure or jig or whatever...

Exactly so. I just cut through the shank of the treble eye itself. If possible I eschew split rings; they have snag-able edges, albeit small ones.  :)

~A~

bluefish69

Mel

The 5 & 7 oz Croc Lures that we get have solid rings but the Blues up here are smart, they bite the line before the lure.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

whalebreath

The Best Siwash is sadly no longer in production although there are lots around on EBay and commercial tackle stores.

Mustad 95170-the soft stainless they're made of takes a wicked edge.

Keta

Have you considered assist hooks attached to the top of your jigs?

Quote from: whalebreath on April 15, 2014, 11:54:44 PM
The Best Siwash is sadly no longer in production although there are lots around on EBay and commercial tackle stores.

Mustad 95170-the soft stainless they're made of takes a wicked edge.

I have some of these you can have for the cost to ship them to you.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nuvole

Quote from: Aiala on April 15, 2014, 09:35:41 PM
Quote from: bluefish69 on April 15, 2014, 07:53:26 PM
Never cut the ring on the lure or jig or whatever...

Exactly so. I just cut through the shank of the treble eye itself. If possible I eschew split rings; they have snag-able edges, albeit small ones.  :)

~A~

+1 Nay for split ring, they are always the ones that fail.

doradoben

Aiala, I have about half of a box of Mustad 9510XXXS open eye stainless Siwash 8/0 hooks. If you would like, just PM me and I will send you some.. 

Aiala

Thanks, Ben! PM sent...  :)

~A~

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

now i'm jealous of A... :D ;D

Newell Nut

Quote from: Dominick on April 14, 2014, 11:17:21 PM
Ringed Owner are the hooks for me.  Owner Hooks rock.  Dominick
Just stay away from the SSW Owner. They open too easy on snappers. I found the Eagle Claw Alaskan 5/0 to be a superior strength hook and stands up to 30 lb snappers where the SSW will fail. I found 500 of the Eagle Claw Alaskan 6/0 for $29 on ebay.

The Owner Aki Twist is a killer but they are expensive.

Ken_D

Quote from: Nuvole on April 14, 2014, 03:29:11 PM
Generally, I'll lie the original treble hook on the table and replace them with a hook around the same witdth.
They should be wider than the thickest part of the lure, but less than double.

Word.    One of the ways to do this is to measure across any two of the 3 trebles, and go with the closest single hook available, that occupies the double gape measure.  In this fishery, (and possibly in many other jurisdictions that permit single hooks not trebles), several manufacturers include both a single and a treble with the spoon or lure.  It's easy to see the single's gape being the same as, or closest to, any two of the trebles, in the blister pack.

doradoben

Aiala, I just sent you a PM...