Siwash hook size...?

Started by Aiala, April 14, 2014, 03:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

In preparation for my summer trip, I will be replacing some (but not all) of the treble hooks on my jigs with open-ring Siwash hooks. (Aids in releasing fish without destroying their mouths, and I don't mind a few extra missed hook-ups.)

So, what size Siwash would y'all recommend I buy? I'm thinking either 6/0 or 7/0...   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Nuvole

Generally, I'll lie the original treble hook on the table and replace them with a hook around the same witdth.
They should be wider than the thickest part of the lure, but less than double.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

thanks for the info because i'm also thinking of replacing the trebles with siwash hooks...

Aiala

Quote from: Mel B on April 14, 2014, 03:32:04 PM
Thanks for the info because I'm also thinking of replacing the trebles with Siwash hooks...

BTW, there's tons of 'em for sale on eBay... pretty inexpensive, too.   :)

~A~

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

thanks A

bluefish69

Quote from: Aiala on April 14, 2014, 03:39:17 PM
Quote from: Mel B on April 14, 2014, 03:32:04 PM
Thanks for the info because I'm also thinking of replacing the trebles with Siwash hooks...

BTW, there's tons of 'em for sale on eBay... pretty inexpensive, too.   :)

~A~

Please make sure that you buy a good brand of hooks. I use either VMC or OWNER Hooks

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Ringed Owner are the hooks for me.  Owner Hooks rock.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

bluefish69

A

If you buy the VMC Hooks get the Perma Steel hooks. They will last a little longer & won't rust as fast.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Aiala

Quote from: bluefish69 on April 15, 2014, 12:44:26 AM
A
If you buy the VMC Hooks get the Perma Steel hooks. They will last a little longer & won't rust as fast.
Mike

Mike, good point. 

~A~

Bucktail

I replace all my trebles with single hooks. I like the Gamakatsu Siwash hooks the best
Just a jig-a-lo

Shark Hunter

I am a Gamma fan myself. They make some nice Hooks! ;D
Gamma, VMC, Mustad, Owner and Lingren Pitman.
I use more Lingren's and Mustad's just because of the price and the hook up ratio. But they are considered disposable after a day in the Salt.
Life is Good!

wallacewt

hi aiala
do what novole said,hook wider than the jig
you can put an elastic band around the hook
to hold it in place for better hook ups
cheers

philaroman

I grabbed some old 7/0 Partridge pretty cheap on eBay -- many decades old (possibly older than the term "Siwash" :D ); just plain, white, 100-count boxes stamped "Partridge of Redditch Commercial Salmon Hook"; extra-long, dual-taper conical point; extra-deep bend; dull grey finish...

Anyone ever use these?  They look like they could handle fish well over 50 lbs. w/ ease

Nuvole

Quote from: philaroman on April 15, 2014, 12:22:54 PM
I grabbed some old 7/0 Partridge pretty cheap on eBay -- many decades old (possibly older than the term "Siwash" :D ); just plain, white, 100-count boxes stamped "Partridge of Redditch Commercial Salmon Hook"; extra-long, dual-taper conical point; extra-deep bend; dull grey finish...

Anyone ever use these?  They look like they could handle fish well over 50 lbs. w/ ease

Put a piece of cork over the tip of the hook and do a load test :-)