Building a drag star

Started by Three se7ens, April 19, 2014, 03:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

So a few weeks ago Dom presented me with a request that posed a bit of a challenge.  He wanted a drag star with a wider profile at the tips of the stars, so it would be more finger friendly in use.  The challenge was that the threaded portion can't be much thicker than 1/8", so there would be machining involved.  I couldn't just cut the profile from flat sheet like the simpler stars. 

So here is the process I came up with.  I cut the star profile, with tabs holding it into a ring, out of 1/4" 316ss on the waterjet.  That is my blank, and the ring is to be able to clamp it in my lathe for machining.

Three se7ens

Next I set the compound slide to an angle that gives me 1/8" depth over 1/2" of travel, and machined the bevel into one side of the star blank.  Then I reamed the center hole and tapped it to 1/2-32.

Three se7ens

Then I used the lathe to cut a v notch into the blank between the ring and the star.  I did this on both sides, cutting nearly halfway through on each side.  Once it was cut, a few taps with a brass punch and hammer, and the star was free from the ring.

Three se7ens

After a little smoothing and polishing, here's the finished part.  And the clearance is perfect even with a locked down drag, as in the last picture.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Adam that last photo tells it all.  That is beautiful work.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rothmar2

As Alan has said, beautiful. Now can you make some for a 6/0? I'll be in for a couple if you can. Or will these already fit?

Three se7ens

Quote from: Rothmar2 on April 19, 2014, 05:23:15 AM
As Alan has said, beautiful. Now can you make some for a 6/0? I'll be in for a couple if you can. Or will these already fit?

The 6/0 and up have a buttress thread, not a standard thread profile. I haven't been able to find an off the shelf tap, but I'm working on getting a custom one made.

Shark Hunter

It really takes some know how on the Buttress Threads. I didn't even know what they were until recently.
I think if you really want them to fit, you have to make your own taps. Here is a custom 12/0 sleeve I received recently and the craftsmanship is beyond compare! :o

I'm not knocking your work buddy! ;) You have provided me with my coveted Shark Handles. I'm just saying, I think the Buttress taps are a trade secret and to do them right, You need to make your own.
Life is Good!

Lensters

Those are beautiful and exactly what I think that a star should be.   However, I'll bet they are going to cost a pretty penny.  Have you calculated a price yet?
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Shark Hunter

Lensters,
Adam (Three se7ens) is on the up and up. I think you will be surprised what you can get these for. ;)
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Quote from: Lensters on April 19, 2014, 06:09:25 AM
Those are beautiful and exactly what I think that a star should be.   However, I'll bet they are going to cost a pretty penny.  Have you calculated a price yet?

I have not set a price yet.  Im working on a production schedule that will cut the time involved down so I can offer them at a fair price.  That being said, the polishing adds a huge amount of time, and that's a killer on the price.  I could offer them as machined at a lower price though.

The real value of this design will be the larger sizes, where the drag numbers go way up, as well as the need to change the drag more often. I'm working getting a tap for the 114/115, and I'll size up from there.

Shark Hunter

You keep up the good work Adam! You are making a lot of happy Fishermen! ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Three se7ens on April 19, 2014, 06:31:58 AMthe polishing adds a huge amount of time, and that's a killer on the price. 

Yup, it was taking me 30-45 minutes to polish my handle arms.  Right now I can't even run my drill press due to the cast and pain when I use/abuse my left hand.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain