New project...113H

Started by Big Tim, April 24, 2014, 02:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

OK the first 2 pieces of the puzzle are in...Accurate frame & light spool...Just had to put the plates on  ;D ;D ;D Now a couple more items to come in and then decide what else I'm going to do to the internals

Tim

TechTeach

What is the preferred right plate for a project like this. The one shown, or the one with the open drag that can be serviced without taking the reel apart?

I'm about to go down this road and have 6 113h's to choose from.

Great project by the way. Following this post daily. Love the pics, the frame looks great.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Big Tim

Quote from: TechTeach2530 on April 27, 2014, 01:10:28 AM
What is the preferred right plate for a project like this. The one shown, or the one with the open drag that can be serviced without taking the reel apart?

Great project by the way. Following this post daily. Love the pics, the frame looks great.

Thanks...I'm new to this and I really don't have an educated opinion on the plate...One piece seems to me might be stronger? But I'm sure Dr. Tankenstien "Alto Mare" would have the right answer.

Tim

Keta

If you are double dogging the reel the open drag side plate is easier to assemble but there are ways around the problem if you have a closed drag side plate.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

You still have to take the plate off to access the drags TechTeach. On the Larger Senators, You can change a main gear without having to take the plate off. I did this to a 14/0 recently.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I happen to have all open drag plates, but that just happened that way, I do n't believe there is a huge advantage functionally.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Right, it's just a little harder to keep the drag stack in place with the closed stack side plates, especially with a non standard stack.  The 114H is easier than the 113H.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: noyb72 on April 28, 2014, 12:15:59 AM
I happen to have all open drag plates, but that just happened that way, I do n't believe there is a huge advantage functionally.
Ron

I just thought structurally with 2 pieces and multiple pieces of hardware involved that the 1 piece could have an advantage. Lees is More??

Tim

TechTeach

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 27, 2014, 05:06:40 PM
You still have to take the plate off to access the drags TechTeach. On the Larger Senators, You can change a main gear without having to take the plate off. I did this to a 14/0 recently.

Can't you get at the drag washers by just removing the handle and star with the open style? I know I have done it before.

Any strength concerns withe either design?

I think I'm going to go open because I like the look of the older reels.

Stay tuned, maybe I'll start a build thread soon. Forecast is for a week worth of rain for us in the northeast. No boat work so I guess it's reel time.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Keta

When you can put the drag stack into the gear when the bridge is attached to the side plate you don't have to deal with the ear of an eared washer hang up on the gear.

Mark Twain

Big Tim

I'm in over my head...I'm so new that my camera is in B & W  ;D I still think less is more..Less moving part is = to less failure. No matter the ease of accessibility to the drags and related components if in cased in a solid platform the overall integrity and structural strength should increase ? Tim

Keta

There is actually no more parts, just a different type of spacer.  The open drag probably allows more water into the reel but that's one of the things drag grease is for.

Mark Twain

johnachak

IMHO, I like the side plate with the accessible drag.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Nuvole

Tim,

Mind sharing what's the flashlight with tripod you are using?

Cheers,

Arthur

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on April 28, 2014, 03:47:44 AM
There is actually no more parts, just a different type of spacer.  The open drag probably allows more water into the reel but that's one of the things drag grease is for.

Thank you for the education Lee...I would like to see one up close and see if the opening for the larger spacer is the same thickness as the closed drag plate.