Clamps

Started by Keta, March 09, 2012, 10:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

I believe in using the rod clamps for my reels until I bought a Saltiga 30T  ???.  I think I read a post for an aftermarket clamp for the 30T; has anyone seen it and how much?

Leo

SoCalAngler

I always use reel clamps all the way down to reels I fish 15 lb test on. On my 30-40-50 lb stuff I have landed some nice sized fish like 70 lb bluefin on 30 and a estimated 220 lb plus thresher on 50 lb. Estimated due to release, I didn't want to mess around with a fish that size in a 21 ft center console and without a flying gaff. I much rather have a clamp on and not need it than not have a clamp on a reel and wish I did.

Leo, there may be other clamps made for the 30T as the stock ones suck but I was looking at this one about a month ago. Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the clamp.
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrd.htm

Edit: I forgot to say Tiburon makes one too.
http://www.tiburonengineering.com/products/reel-clamps

txangler81

what about on rods with the triggers such as the ugly styk tiger lites

harryk3616

clamps just get in the way and cause injury, did you ever see a reel come loose from the reel stand when a fish strikes , they just get in the way a nuisance, but that's my opinion.

MFB

One came standard on my Tiburon TLD30A frame & I have 24kg mono on it, so that's good enough for me.

Rgds

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

harryk3616

txangler81   dustin       if a rod has a finger grip, it's usually a light rod that you would use a small baitcaster,  i really don't think clamps would be needed as the fish would be on the small side and more than likely the reel wouldn't have holes for clamps.

Doug

I always use the rod clamp , maybe out of habit. I have changed all my old Penn reels over from the  wing nut and stud type to the newer ones. The studs where always in the way and wing nuts came lose.  I frequently take my grand kids and sometimes a one of their friends or two  bottom fishing porgy's /sea bass etc,  with them I always use the lanyard loop. The lanyard has saved a few good 500,s/ugly sticks from the deep six a number of times Doug

Doug

Now that I think about clamps again I also some times use the lanyard loop as neat place to park an empty hook on a set up while  moving between  drops  while fishing . Doug

Islandgypsy

I clamp 'um..as not all reel seats and reel feet from different manufacturers are created equal. Some snug up pretty well, others not so much...so I just clamp them all and forget about it.

txangler81

Ugly styk tiger lite big water rods have triggers can a clamp be used thanks
Rod Model BWCL220070
Length7'
ActionH
Lure Weight (oz.)1-5
Line Weight14-40
Pieces1
Dusty

maxpowers

Quote from: harryk3616 on August 11, 2014, 12:34:49 PM
txangler81   dustin       if a rod has a finger grip, it's usually a light rod that you would use a small baitcaster,  i really don't think clamps would be needed as the fish would be on the small side and more than likely the reel wouldn't have holes for clamps.

Harry,

Most of the newer jigging rods are built with the trigger, including some high end rods like the the blackhole series, etc.  Those rods are definitely not for going after small fish.  The tiger ugly lite can tackle tuna up to 150 lbs or so so again they are not made just to tackle small fish.  Some of the smaller jigging reels can be clamp on these rods.  I was able to clamp the omoto triple on the tiger ugly lites.

johnachak

Quote from: Jimmer on March 10, 2012, 02:51:11 AM
On under 30# gear i just use a zip tie in a figure 8 around the reel seat - works good so far.

I use zip ties on my smaller reels especially if I have a trigger grip rod.

Aiala

I always use a clamp... no exceptions. However, I do like to swap out wing nuts for chromed lock nuts, which I tighten with a nut driver.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Tiddlerbasher

I have landed fish close to 200lbs without a clamp - But after my recent experiments with a new line spooler - 8-10lbs of drag will put a serious amount of rotational/cranking force on a reel/reel seat 20lb+ is asking for problems. A clamp is just sensible insurance - where is the downside ???