Marine Grease

Started by elnath, July 11, 2010, 10:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

you know, it's messy, but you can get any cheap 3 ounce tube grease, push out grease and toss it, then hand pack it with yamaha marine.  get a box of nitrile gloves first. 

as far as pull goes, i can't even get my kids to clean their rooms!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Quote from: kamuwela on February 08, 2011, 07:23:12 PMalan with all your pull, i bet you could get yamaha to make 3oz marine tubes.

Yeah, Yamaha is making a fortune in marine grease.  You'd think that they would send Alan a year's supply with all of the publicity.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

yeah bryan then he can pass some extra's around.

Black Widow Tackle

Does yamaha make any 3 oz tubes of grease?

alantani

only in the non-marine version. 

Black Widow Tackle

Will the no marine one work for saltwater reels?

Norcal Pescador

It won't have the salt water corrosion inhibitors, so you should closely inspect the insides more often, maybe even re-grease more often. But yes, it can be used.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

by accident i have found a little corrosion x  mixed with grease help's. i prefer marine but i go through the reel's at least twice a yr. i use both yamaha marine and non marine. i know corrosion x works great as a protectant, so till i run out of non marine this is the way i do it. i do mostly trolling reel's and have found no problem's as of yet. here in hawaii the reel's get a good dose of salt water almost every time we go out.

Dominick

Just to add to the confusion consider this from another site http://www.tackletester.com/?p=1541 .  No comments about price, but the picture that accompanied the article showed a  plastic tube.  Dominick

"Keep things smooth with Daiwa Tournament Grease

Daiwa has released an exclusively designed grease for use with all of their Real Four and Saltiga Reels.
The grease is suitable for moving parts and drag washers, and is made in Japan. Daiwa's service department has been using it for quite some time and from experience the reels almost always come back feeling like new, could the Tournament grease be the secret?

Unfortunately Daiwa's after service turn around can be quite a wait, with "months" not uncommon. But as I said earlier, when it comes back they come back feeling amazing.

I guess for the average angler with at least some idea of how a reel works, the new Tournament grease by Daiwa would save the wait if you self-serviced your reels. Maybe this is just a ploy to get less reels through the allready over worked service centre? Who knows.

Either way, there has been a void of good quality greases in the fishing tackle market for some time, so its good to see something new in the range."
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

wow!  these guys are really fancy!!!!!  http://www.tackletester.com/  kinda makes this place look a little dull by comparison.   :-[

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on February 11, 2011, 04:56:56 AM
wow!  these guys are really fancy!!!!!  http://www.tackletester.com/  kinda makes this place look a little dull by comparison.   :-[

Fancy, schmancy, ho hum.  Alan, this site has no equal!  ;)

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

super tiagra? digital controll's, wireless receiver. who would ever figure technolgy would go that far,  a little overboard for me.

alantani

what i'd like to see is a rod with a digital display for the drag pressure built into the foregrip.  that would be slick.  i understand dennis braid is working on something like that.  alan

Black Widow Tackle

For 3 oz grease which one, Yamaha multi purpose or evenrude triple guard?  Thanks

Bryan Young

Personally, I like the triple guard 'cause it's really tacky and will stick to anything. If I am packing bearing, I mix with corrosionX until I have the consistency of Yamaha marine grease.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D