Marine Grease

Started by elnath, July 11, 2010, 10:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elnath

I've been looking around at the 3oz marine grease cartridges out there, I wish there was some way to compare the various brands.  I know that Alan recently had a "discovery" concerning the Yamaha grease and has compared the Evinrude.  Is there really that much difference?  All the companies have a "blue" formula and claim extra anti-corrosion additives for salt water applications.

Just wondering...

alantani

yeah, the omc stuff is really tacky.  personally, i really just don't care for it.  i'm sure it works fine, though.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I've been using Evinrude triple guard to coat everything.  The stuff is tacky and sticky.  It works great, but would not recommend it for bearings as it's just too tacky.  I've been using it on parts that do not involve movement, such as spools, side plates, screws, etc.  Yamaha grease seems to be a good consistency for bearings.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

Guys, I've followed the grease discussion for a while and have to put in my 2ยข. For drag washers I used only Cal's Drag Grease. I get it from Dawn at Smooth Drag. For everything else, I use Penn's X-1R grease. It's a blue synthetic grease with great anti-corrosion properties. It's less tacky than Cal's and, I think, the right viscosity for most uses. It costs a little more than Yamaha but is not nearly as expensive as Cal's. I never liked Penn's Muscle Grease or the amber stuff they used to put in tubes but X-1R is good stuff.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Nuvole

I only use marine grease for heavy weight trolling reel.

I use quicksilver c24 as its available onboard my working vessel, they are very low viscosity, and not water soluble.
The C24 is super tacky that I've to manually peel off the first 10m of line before the water drag take over. The reason I'm using marine lube for trolling reel is that I'm like using the reel like 12 hours a day over a month during my work.

For surf reel I only use grease for the main gear and internal parts frame area, I stick with rocket fuel for bearing for long casting distance.

Johnny

Has any one tried the Corrosion Block Grease yet, and if so any opinions?
Here is a link:

http://www.nocorrosion.com/cart/grease.php

lois

Quote from: Johnny on July 13, 2010, 05:20:12 PM
Has any one tried the Corrosion Block Grease yet, and if so any opinions?
Here is a link:

http://www.nocorrosion.com/cart/grease.php
i've seen that in reels and it sort of clumps up after a while. i wouldn't use it.

johnD

What do y'all think about "pennzoil marine grease premium" for reels ?

Black Widow Tackle

is the Evinrude grease really bad for the bearings on a spinning reel?  If so what 3oz grease canisters do you use for Alan's bearing packers?

Bryan Young

Quote from: johnD on December 03, 2010, 09:14:13 PM
What do y'all think about "pennzoil marine grease premium" for reels ?
I think someone here uses the Pennzoil.  Was it ReelSpeed?  He will probably comment.

Quote from: anw0625 on February 08, 2011, 04:24:43 AM
is the Evinrude grease really bad for the bearings on a spinning reel?  If so what 3oz grease canisters do you use for Alan's bearing packers?
Evinrude triple guard grease is really, I mean really thick and tacky.  I would not use it on bearings because it is too thick.  I mix CorrosionX to thin it out and soften it a bit, then it allows the bearings to spin.  This is what I do and it works just fine for me.  You really have to watch the packaging of the Evinrude grease.  The packaging is the same for wheel bearing as the triple guard except for the name, and I ended up with the wrong grease that I wanted.

I am trying out the CorrosionX grease in my spinner bearings now and will see how well it does. 

Alan re-uses the 3 oz canisters.  He essentially reloads the canisters with Yamaha marine grease.  I don't believe that the Yamaha marine grease comes in 3 oz packages.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ReelSpeed

Bryan, I do not use the penzoil stuff yet.. I was just looking to get some to do some testing with.  I am getting ready to line up a number of greases and do some different testing with them.  I spoke in another post about "Water Washout" rating on different greases.. the penzoil is the lowest I have seen on cheap grease. I also ordered a marine Bio grease that has the lowest I have heard of.. but it is more expensive.  When I get everything in, I will post on my findings.
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

alantani

i'm reading this and having a good chuckle.  just watch.  after it's all said and done, we'll probably all wind up back to using the yamaha marine stuff......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Black Widow Tackle

Quote from: alantani on February 08, 2011, 05:23:03 PM
i'm reading this and having a good chuckle.  just watch.  after it's all said and done, we'll probably all wind up back to using the yamaha marine stuff......   ;D

do you know where or if anyone even has a reusable 3 oz tube to put grease in?

ReelSpeed

I am sure you are right Alan.. I just figured I would try it out and see what happens.. :)
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

kamuwela

alan with all your pull, i bet you could get yamaha to make 3oz marine tubes.