Marine Grease

Started by elnath, July 11, 2010, 10:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

Quote from: ReelSpeed on February 08, 2011, 03:52:36 PM
Bryan, I do not use the penzoil stuff yet.. I was just looking to get some to do some testing with.  I am getting ready to line up a number of greases and do some different testing with them.  I spoke in another post about "Water Washout" rating on different greases.. the penzoil is the lowest I have seen on cheap grease. I also ordered a marine Bio grease that has the lowest I have heard of.. but it is more expensive.  When I get everything in, I will post on my findings.

Hi,

I just read the Penzoil marine grease data sheet, I't uses a Calcium thickener and that shoud garatee better washout properties than both Aluminium and Lithium, even without additives. Did you try the Penzoil yet?

I did some research on the Yamaha stuff most of you are using, and it seems at it is produced in the US by a company called Chemtool. So if you want exended datasheets on the Yamaha stuff, you can get it from Chemtool.

I lot of us can't buy Yamaha grease, so it would be interesting to make a list with equal products.  But some testing has to be done, because the manufactures of grease products states, Hmm whatever, to sell their products.  One thing I believe in, is Calcium thickened products, as in many engineering learnbooks, Calcium thickened products is the way to go in extreme wet environments.  

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

coores14

I found a tube of Marine Grease at my local Advance Auto Parts store.  They have a tiny marine section, perhaps because it's Key West.  But the tube was about 4 bucks and the grease looks almost identical to the Yamaha stuff.  Not too tacky, blue....I like it, honestly.  Might be worth checking out for those of you who are interested. 

Killerbug

Quote from: coores14 on December 08, 2011, 01:22:50 PM
I found a tube of Marine Grease at my local Advance Auto Parts store.  They have a tiny marine section, perhaps because it's Key West.  But the tube was about 4 bucks and the grease looks almost identical to the Yamaha stuff.  Not too tacky, blue....I like it, honestly.  Might be worth checking out for those of you who are interested. 

Thanks for the offer,

looking forward the hear how the grease will deal with the environments, long time effects etc. 

Keta

Chemtool makes good products.

Any grease that fits the required specs will work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Paleoreelist

Quote from: alantani on February 08, 2011, 05:23:03 PM
i'm reading this and having a good chuckle.  just watch.  after it's all said and done, we'll probably all wind up back to using the yamaha marine stuff......   ;D

I wish!!! Blue Yamalube marine unavaiable in the UK, according to my local Yamalube stockist none in UK for the last 4 years.
The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a Y.

Killerbug

Quote from: Paleoreelist on December 08, 2011, 06:16:00 PM
i'm reading this and having a good chuckle.  just watch.  after it's all said and done, we'll probably all wind up back to using the yamaha marine stuff......   ;D

I wish!!! Blue Yamalube marine unavaiable in the UK, according to my local Yamalube stockist none in UK for the last 4 years.

ALCO-EP-73 PLUS is a British product with simular properties as Yamaha marine grease. 

http://www.jet-lube.co.uk/05%20greases.html

Paleoreelist

Thanks for the link Killer Bug, I will give some a go  :)

aus bass

Im in Australia and i currently use Inox MX8 grease. It's a red coloured grease and primarily used for boat trailer  wheel bearings so it is high temp, extreme pressure and salt water resistant. Technical data shows it is a lithium based complex grease. It is tacky and seems to adhere very well. Colouration has not changed in reels over 18months since last service. Very happy with it.

I think they are just starting to crack to the US market.
http://www.inoxed.com/mx8.htm
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

alantani

i've seen inox red grease.  looks like the same stuff in avet reels. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

HOLYSTEEL

Has anyone tried Sta-Lube multi purpose Marine by CRC?  Running around getting set up with my grease gun I came across the product and bought a 3 Pck of 3OZ tubes for 5.99. Package reads " a distinctive tacky grease which resists washout under most severe conditions. Warning contains mineral OIL 64741-96-4,Aluminum Benzoate fatty acid hydroxy complexes 82980-53-8, Calcium Dinonylnaphthalene Sulfonate 87885-77-3.
Base Type: Aluminum Complex
Color Blue ( its more like a milky aqua green)
NLGI NO. Grade 2
Drop point Min 450 F
Water Resistence Excellent.
I figured if it was not worthy it would still be used in the trailer bearings.  HF carries it.

Killerbug

I could not find any data sheet, but it states <15% washout properties, I would say that's not good enough, should be <5%.  If you live in the US, why not order the Yamaha stuff, it seems to work great for most of the US guys in here.  But it "never hurts" to try new products, and as you said, you can always use it for other purposes.

kamuwela

recently i got some corrosion-x for test purposes. we cant get their grease here just the liquid product's. i am a fan of their stuff i should be a sales man. i will post more later it is too soon for the results. but i am impressed so far.

cathauler65

Yamaha Marine Grease is available in the UK. Try Dolings in Cumbria: www.gwdoling.co.uk

Paleoreelist

Quote from: cathauler65 on December 30, 2011, 10:52:29 AM

Yamaha Marine Grease is available in the UK. Try Dolings in Cumbria: www.gwdoling.co.uk

Yes it is available but not the blue, it's a creamy brown colour now.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D