Delaware Bay Black Drum Fishing

Started by Capt Ahab, May 10, 2014, 03:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Ahab

Set up my drum / taug / cod rod (Atlas Kona on a 8' Star Plasma MH) and headed out to the coral beds for some night time fighting with the monster of the dark

Bite was slow until after midnight when we managed to get a steady pick up to around 50 lbs.  These fish get much larger but we all went home with a dinner and then some  - surf clams and sand flea sandwiches was teh bait.

Got to hear them booming under the boat which is always a spring time favorite sound

fished With Capt/ Rodney on the Fish Whisperer out of IRI (We meet him in Lewes)

Best bite was later at the turn of the ebb tide into the flow - clams and sand flea sandwich is the new secret weapon

El Pescador

Capt. Ahab!
What size reel did you use to bring in 50 lbs. Drum?
Looks like exciting & delicious fishing!

Thanks. Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Very nice Capt, are they good eating? Thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Capt Ahab

I use an Atlas 200 ( Gear Ratio 5.2:1, - Line capacity 15lbs/290 yds. or 20lbs 220 yds., - Weight 16.3 oz, - Max Drag 22lbs)

About the same as an Avid MX series

They are good table fare  - firm white meat I love em

Gonna go back to see if we can get into some of the big ones - I have caught them in the 70lb range and would really like to break the 100lb mark this year

ChileRelleno

Oh man that looks like fun! And those are some nice sized Big Uglies   8)

Slightly jealous, we have them down here, but it is hard to find them over 40#.
I love the tug-a-war they give, they're like a 18wheeler in low gear, they just drive away from the beach.

You eat'em that big?
Down here we usually only keep the Puppy Drum as we call'em, the larger adults are full of worms in their flesh.
While the worms aren't harmful/transferable to humans, they are just gross when cleaning them.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Quote from: ChileRelleno on May 10, 2014, 07:03:33 PM
Down here we usually only keep the Puppy Drum as we call'em, the larger adults are full of worms in their flesh.
While the worms aren't harmful/transferable to humans, they are just gross when cleaning them.

I for one won't eat them.  I'm glad we don't have wormy fish in this area.  Really Chile, do you actually see the worms when you clean them?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Capt Ahab

Quote from: ChileRelleno on May 10, 2014, 07:03:33 PM
Oh man that looks like fun! And those are some nice sized Big Uglies   8)

Slightly jealous, we have them down here, but it is hard to find them over 40#.
I love the tug-a-war they give, they're like a 18wheeler in low gear, they just drive away from the beach.

You eat'em that big?

I will not kill them over 40 lbs usually  - I have not found many worms at all - I know other people have, worms are usually in the tail area and we just cut them out

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dominick on May 10, 2014, 07:17:31 PM
Really Chile, do you actually see the worms when you clean them? 

Dominick
Yep, short, thick worms curled in the flesh of the fish, almost same color as the flesh.

You can cut them out, or cook them in an hardly know they're there, won't hurt ya, just more protein.
A lot of people own here use the coarse meat of the adults to make imitation crab meat.
The Puppies with stripes aren't infested, and are absolutely delicious.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Cone

Besides the spaghetti worms the big black drum are tougher. I normally keep the smaller ones and release the big ones. Amberjack have worms too. My wife saw some when I was cleaning them. She wouldn't eat any AJ's I caught after that. She would go to the fish house and buy some to cook. I told her they are the same they cut them out. She told me "I didn't see the worms in theirs."   ???  I told her she wouldn't see any in mine if she stayed inside while I cleaned them.  ;)  ;D   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

That's funny Bob ;D

Dominick, what kind of Italian are you? Next you'll tell me you never had Casu Marzu ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Eating bugs is one thing, but I ain't eating or drinking anything that derives a major portion of it's flavor from defecation or being defecated.
No thank you, no Casu Marzu or Kopi Luwak.
Ragnar Benson:

Alto Mare

No neither would I. I've seen my father and brothers eat it, but I couldn't do it.
Maybe we should though, most men reach the age of 100 on that island :-\.

bluefish69

Guys

You eat Cod from the North Atlantic they have worms. If you think that's bad you have to see the worms in Cusk, unbelievable.

Make a light box - Pick the worms out. They really show up

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

philaroman

I thought the worm defecation in the cheese was for the nice creamy texture, more so than the flavor...  not that it matters -- I ain't eatin' poop, no matter how creamy or tasty or aphrodisiac it's proposed to be

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 11, 2014, 02:49:42 AM
No neither would I. I've seen my father and brothers eat it, but I couldn't do it.
Maybe we should though, most men reach the age of 100 on that island :-\.

God's just givin' 'em time to change their minds about eatin' sh*!