drag washer cutting tools.

Started by Geoff, May 11, 2014, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I will let you know how it works out Jon.
Life is Good!

Cone

Daron, I have the same set. It works, but I had to sharpen some of the cutters. I put the handle in a chuck and used some cheap diamond plates to sharpen the cutters.
  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Thanks for the heads up Bob. I will do that. ;)
Life is Good!

TomT

Daron,
I bought a cheap set at Harbor Freights---they had to be sharpened also.  I did not have much in the way of tools with me--I was in Baja at the time.  Another tip that I got from someone on this website is to put a light layer of grease on the cf sheet before punching out the washers.  I used  a little Cals.  Worked well!!  ;D
TomT

Shark Hunter

Thanks for that tip Tom. I will use that as well. I just have a hard time paying $300 and up for some sharpened pieces of metal that I am going to hit with a Hammer! ::)
I am going to town on some 12/0 washers when I get this punch set. ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Well, my $20 punch set came, and I started to punch out some washers, I started with some Delrin, and it was breaking them. I have some small diamond bits from a buddy and chucked one up in the dremel and put an edge on them that would actually cut without breaking them.

I had to sharpen them after a couple of cuts, but once I got the hang of it, I punched 5 complete sets of 12/0 drag washers with the Delrin under gear washer. I would have kept going, but I ran out of cf to punch. Well worth the $20 spot and already paid for itself. ;)
I did it in about 2 hours instead of dremeling each one that would have taken much longer. I ended up using a different punch for the id that I already had instead of switching the cutters.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Looking good. 
I go through enough 12 and 14/0 stock washers where I might want to consider the investment.  I was thinking of getting an ultrasonic cleaner first though.

I do need to cut 2 sets of hex gear washers.  Guess I need a laminated CF sheet.  Who sells them on Ebay again?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

This is the guy John. Tell him Sal sent ya. ;) .120 is the thickest he has available. I just ordered two 8 x 8 sheets.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121243650722?var=420217095633&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Thanks. 

Got the punching kit and the 8X12 in 1.2mm.  Wonder if punching for HEX set will help?  Just Dremel off the extra to shape of a template?  Did you try greasing em up first too?  Any ideas where I can grab sharpening bits for the Dremel?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

These would last a long time:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130885906276?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
or these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130943204727?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
All drags in my reels are laminated, the seller that Daron mentioned is a good one...no need to mention my name.
As for punching, I haven't had any luck using cutters as Daron mentioned, even after sharpening the tip. The leather punch he's showing does do a good job, I have a few of those.
These are what I use:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pc-Disc-Cutter-w-Punch-Set-1-2-5-8-3-4-7-8-1-Jewelers-Set-Round-Cutting-J-/271519965029?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f37d9df65
I could punch out a couple of dozen in just a minute, the problem is that you'll need to use a dremel for the center hole, I just can't get them to line up straight if trying with the punch.
There are some better cutters out there, but are not cheap. Dwight ( Newell Nut ) has some nice ones that will cut the OD & ID with one punch.
The punch I'm showing isn't the exact one, mine goes up to 1.5", I place it on a towel on a concrete floor and go at it.
Sal

I just cut some Delrin and realized that the punch only goes up to 1", not 1.5"

This punch kit does a very good job on Carbon Fiber and Delrin.

These here are from Harbor Freight and don't do as goo of a job

You might want to consider the ones above, I believe mine was $34.99.

Keep in mind Dawn from SmoothDrags has most of these washers already cut at a very good price.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Sal,
I know these cutters are inferior to the ones like you and Dwight use, but with a little practice, they work for me. The first couple I tried to cut, It either didn't go all the way through, or my center hole was off. My neighbor had just cut down a tree, so I knew one of those logs would make an excellent work top for punching, so didn't have to use the floor. I would hit the punch with the diamond bit real quick after a couple cuts to keep them sharp, The quality of the steel is why they are $20. To get the center hole right, I would use an old drag washer on top and line it up, then punch it out with one good tap. It was nice not using the dremel on any of these.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 13, 2014, 05:32:08 AM
Thanks. 

Got the punching kit and the 8X12 in 1.2mm.  Wonder if punching for HEX set will help?  Just Dremel off the extra to shape of a template?  Did you try greasing em up first too?  Any ideas where I can grab sharpening bits for the Dremel?
I didn't use any grease John. What worked out best for me with the hex drags, was using a template out of a credit card That fit in the gear perfect. I wanted to keep the edges sharp. I did all the shaping with a sanding drum on a dremel after cutting out with scissors.

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

No Daron, my punch are no way close to Dwight's, I believe his were around $200. You are doing ok with yours, just keep an eye on the edge, if it's too jagged I would be cautious using them.
Abut the hex cut, I personally do not trust them, I told Alan Chui to get me sharp corners, but that was the best they could do. The gears are a little rounded at the corners, this will help the washer slip. I made mine a little sharper using a dremel, but it's a lot of work. On the other hand, Lee's inserts are great.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Daron, nice job with those.
Sal, thanks for the review of the punch sets.
Just curious, what are you guys using the delrin for... the under main gear washer?
Thanks
Dom

Shark Hunter

Thanks Dom, Yes, for the under gear. You want some?
Life is Good!