drag washer cutting tools.

Started by Geoff, May 11, 2014, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Hi Alan, i'm keen to start cutting out drag washers from sheets of HT100. Where can I buy that from? Also,I looked up hole punching tools,many sets available,and would like to know what would be a recommended/maximum/outside diameter, hole punch I'd need?  ???

maxpowers

if you are cutting round washers, a pair of scissors are all you need.  for the ID, just use once of the eared metal washer scored with a pick or knife point.  you can drill it call slowly or dremel it all.  Or you can buy the hollow punch tool kit from harbor freight and punch it out.

Bryan Young

I used a hole punch that I am borrowing from Alan and my largest OD is 2" and it's still not enough.  I need something larger.  I have to see about buying a set and additionally OD probably up to 3"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Geoff

Thanks mate. I'll look into it. You know where to get HT100 sheets from? If I cant get that,there's no need to buy a good punch set!!   ???

Alto Mare

You might be better off with laminated sheets, I get mine from this seller, his name is Erik:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Drag-Sheet-Fishing-Reel-Upgrade-/121243650722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c3aaf4aa2
There is also a member here  that might still be selling sheets, his mane on the site is Wallacewt.
I have tested the ones at the top from Erik many times and do recommend them, I don't know much about the ones that my buddy Wallace is selling.
Do some homework on your own and chose whatever you like.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Look at the Mayhew gasket cutting kits. I love the one that I have and I got the metric which seemed to match the sizes that I wanted to cut the best. Figure out what you want to cut and go from there.

kmstorm64

I have modified some with a simple rat tail file to make them what I had.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

jonnou

I am looking at cutting my own washes and came across this product. It will cut id and od at the same time! it also has a compass cutter which I think would be good for eared washers as you just have to skip ears and trim when finished. I am thinking of getting a couple of cutters and a chuck to start. the set is a bit expensive for me right now
BOEHM JLBM330PACC WAD/PUNCH KIT 3-30mm & COMPASS CUTTER

Product ID: 3146350
Item
« Prev Item   |   Next »

click on images to enlarge

• Boehm Wad Punch Kits.

Boehm hollow or joint-cutter punch sets can be paired and interchanged quickly and easily, and locked in their patented unique locking system.

Used for cutting out clean and circular gaskets and sealing rings in a variety of materials including cardboard, leather, rubber, fibre and plastic.

A comprehensive range available.

Other sets available, and individual components and punches sizes from 2 to 60mm.

BOEHM Hollow punches, often known as joint-cutters or wad punches, have many varied uses, and can be used for cutting out gaskets and sealing rings in foam, cardboard, leather, rubber, fibre, plastic and lead.

Not only is the quality of these punches unsurpassable, but there is also the added bonus of being able to use pairs.

The hollow punch sets can be paired and inter-changed very quickly and easily by using the patented lock in chuck system.

A paired set of punches can be used to cut washers or sealing rings, etc. in foam, cardboard, leather, rubber, fibre, plastic or lead.

A range of sets are available and each set includes a holder and a range of punches which fit to the holder either singly, for discs or in pairs for washers. All supplied in a case
    - See more at: http://tradetools.co.nz/products/3146350#sthash.LFjPP56h.dpuf

harryk3616

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 12, 2014, 09:32:42 PM
You might be better off with laminated sheets, I get mine from this seller, his name is Erik:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Drag-Sheet-Fishing-Reel-Upgrade-/121243650722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c3aaf4aa2
There is also a member here  that might still be selling sheets, his mane on the site is Wallacewt.
I have tested the ones at the top from Erik many times and do recommend them, I don't know much about the ones that my buddy Wallace is selling.
Sal
hi  sal     what thickness do you use?   is cals grease a must with these sheets?

Alto Mare

Quote from: harryk3616 on June 29, 2014, 02:43:35 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on May 12, 2014, 09:32:42 PM
Sal
hi  sal     what thickness do you use?   is cals grease a must with these sheets?

Hey Harry, I use many different sizes, from .5mm to 1.4mm. Yes it is a good idea to use Cal's on all carbon fiber washers.
later my friend.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

I just took apart two 113s that had factory dry HT100s and apparently had gotten wet and the HT100 and metal washers were all rusted together. x2 on using Cals which should waterproof the drags while making them smooth.

handi2

The Boehm double wad punch looks impressive. I use wad punches and have to buy a separate one for each size and they are expensive. I work on allot of spinning reels cutting Carbomtex sheets. I can punch out 17mm, 21mm, and 25mm for the shimano spinners really fast. The Shimano and other spinners that have a small spool shaft are very easy to cut the little center hole by hand with a Unibit.

The drag washers for conventional reels are easy to punch out the OD but getting the center hole just right is a pain. I use a high speed dremel bit while holding the washers against the metal washer. Now I just buy them from Dawn at Smooth Drag.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jonnou

the Bohem punches can also be bought seperately but if you add it up it is even more expensive.
I think the compass cutter would be good for large eared washers as you could skip cut and form ears with scissors. At the moment i have a lot of little penn ones to do. I have found a steel pipe with ID of 20.2mm
which i have sharpened. I works well I just drive it with a large rubber maul into end grain timber. I have been clamping the 20mm disks into an old penn 85 gear with an appropriate sized nut and drilling with a 10mm bit.
I then hold all together and clean up on 120g sandpaper for outside and a chainsaw file for inside. Only ones that have been a bit rough have been when I have been greedy and tryed to punch to close. I have sanded these and used them under the gears. In New Zealand we dont have a company like Smoothdrag and I love to tinker. I have converted two reels so far for less than $10 nz

Shark Hunter

I'm going to give this punch set a try. Hand cutting the larger Senator drags can take some time. This set will work up to the 12/0. I like the center punch too, so I can punch it out with a reference point.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191106885662?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Life is Good!

jonnou

Thats a good price. I just returned a similar one to our local enginering supplier unused cost me $40 NZ (80c to us $) I was worried that the large taper on the small punches wouldn't cut a neat inner hole. or stretch it. A Bit of steel pipe works so those should be sweet ;)
I think a nice tight end grain block of wood is Important. Lets the punch through material into a solid backing smooth and evenly. Good luck look forward to hearing how it goes.
Jon