Jeweling bridge - Jigmaster .

Started by Mattman NZ, May 11, 2014, 09:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattman NZ

Hi guys I picked up two Jigmasters a week ago and was a bit bored so decided to make up one really good one out of two and have a few spare parts for later mods etc.
1st ive striped and this is what ive got to work with .

Soaked in white vinegar for a few days and a light scuff with a small wire wheel on the end of the dremel and is now looking a bit better.Ive already drilled and pressed in pins for the extra dog .

The outside of the bridge plate .

Now the jewling .I had to make up a tool using an old rc aireal - rubber - old drill bit and some strong two pot mix glue. I cut the aerial tube about 1 1/2'' and inside dia is just over 1/4''.Sharpend one end of the tube by putting a chamfer both inside and out .I'm using this to cut the rubber plug which will end up glued inside the tube and leave 4 to 5mm sticking out .I then cut 1'' off an old drill bit and glued this inside the tube snug up against the rubber and this will also stop the tube from being crushed in the chuck.

Just about ready to do some jewling.

1st test peice with a fine valve cutting compound for about 5 to 8 secconds.

Just trying to get the fish scale effect just right.

Everything seem to be spot on now - the double dog bridge.

Just about finished.

Just have to be careful when trying to get the excess cutting compound off the work surface using hot water and soap liquid and dab dry with soft tissue and this is the end result.

Now putting everything together - found out by turning the 2nd dog over and putting the spring post towards the center i didn't have to remove anything from the housing.

Maingear and some grease.

All Done hope you like. :)

doradoben

I like it. Makes it look very finished.

Zimbass

Looks like a well made Swiss timepiece. Excellent  ;)
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Alto Mare

Beautiful work Matt, will that work on a stainless steel bridge as well? most of mine are now stainless steel. Thanks for sharing how to, very nice.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

DaBigOno

Very nicely done Matt.  I like it!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

TechTeach

"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Mattman NZ

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 11, 2014, 10:33:54 AM
Beautiful work Matt, will that work on a stainless steel bridge as well? most of mine are now stainless steel. Thanks for sharing how to, very nice.
Sal
Yes Sal i've seen it done on serving trays - ill try a piece of stainless tomorrow .
Cheers guys.
Matt...

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Cone

Very nice! Sal, they do the same thing on rifle bolts, etc.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

harryk3616

reel  nice  matt     job well done, very impressive.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Zimbass on May 11, 2014, 09:42:36 AM
Looks like a well made Swiss timepiece. Excellent  ;)

what else can i add but just to X2 Zimbass. really nice work!

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

HOLEINTHEWATER

wallacewt

good stuff,
ugliest part of the reel,now the best.