Stainless dogs 1st attempt

Started by Mattman NZ, May 20, 2014, 09:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattman NZ

I found an old stainless knife this morning and being just over 2.5 mm thick I had a go at making up a few SS dogs for my 505 jigmaster and double dog it at the same time .Dog shaft was made from hss and slightly tapered and pressed in with locktight=red - Stainless dogs were cut with a dremel cutting wheel in the drill press and dogs in the compound vice - slow cutting and took around 20 minutes per dog .I then dressed 1200 grit then 1800 and then final rub down with talc on a leather strip till shiny.
Dog springs were made from a old spring out of a Bic lighter.
I think the ss dogs came up pretty good. ;D Enjoy.
Matt...

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

TechTeach

"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

RUSTY OLD COLT

NICE JOB ....LOOKS GREAT  I LIKE THE WAY YOU MADE THE CUT OUT FOR THE SPRING

Cone

Nice work! There is a lot of talent here!  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

wallacewt

you are on a roll matt
or should that be  honour role
cheers mate

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Cone on May 20, 2014, 03:54:04 PM
Nice work! There is a lot of talent here!  Bob
You can say that again.  :) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Three se7ens

That's impressive.  Great use of what you had available.

floating doc

Central Florida

gstours

Your the man!  You did a great job, very clean, and nicely finished,  I envy your talents. You are an inspiration to us all.  A perfect Ten ...........gst.

Mattman NZ

Thanks for the replies guys and its encouraging me to do even better next time around .Im currently working out a way to triple dog a spare 500L bridge with smaller dogs that will be even stronger and run only two dog springs one of which sits between two dogs and tensions both simultaneously between two different fulcrum points. It should have way less backlash in the handle and having the dogs set up in staggered .I took a photo of the bridge and added the extra dogs using Ms paint just to see how they would fit and make adjustments etc .
What do you guys think ?

handi2

That's a great job..!! I like the alternating dogs also. Much less handle slop.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Mattman NZ

Got my A into gear this afternoon with the spare 500 bridge  - heated bridge and pressed hardened brass rod into old dog post hole - cut and sanded & polished .Cut two dogs out of stainless sanded + polished and pressed new dog post in just got one more dog to do . ;Denjoy

Irish Jigger

Very innovative,I'm sure you will get a fourth dog in there later ;)
Cut a bit off your Eccentric Spring,it's damaging  the Jack.