tyrnos problems

Started by alantani, July 22, 2010, 06:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the reels in question were brand new.  i do not recall telling that to matt, nor do i recall him asking, but i've been in a robitussin haze for the last week, so who knows.  i hate to see shimano continue to lose ground like this.........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Alan,
Matt swore up & down that your reel was very well used..
Therefore mine should last also, no problem!!

Starting to sound Like Abu Garcia and the Kick lever??   lol
Needless to say I am very disappointed in them at this point..
Very Surprising, because Like most of you I have never had a problem with the service at Shimano before...

Big thanks to Dawn (again) we met today and she gave me some Carbontex to work with.
I always have to laugh.  Im sure people at Vons think we are drug dealers. 
Exchanging baggies in the parking lot!!!    :o    lmao

Im sure I can bang out some washers that will be much better then stock in these Trynos reels now.
She (Dawn) was amazed at the Washers I took out of these BRAND NEW Reels... Junk!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

just trying to give matt the benefit of the doubt.  it never hurts to be nice.......   ;D

zundels

I just bought 6 new Tyrnos 50IILRS reels and had them serviced. The guy that serviced them did not mention any drag issues but now I am second guessing the drags. Is this problem only associated with the smaller Tyrnos reels or has anyone seen it in the larger ones? The date code on the bottom of all six reels is HE-P.

Nessie Hunter

Alan, Im not the best goodwill ambassador!!!  LOL
I thanked matt several times and told him he was very helpfull and informative.
I was getting pissed at the run around and didnt want to say something wrong. 
They (shimano) have all been the VERY BEST and I order from the on a regular basis..

Do you plan a post at any other very large sites (BD) about this??

I have seen a few comments on this issue, but also one that I posted on disappeared.
Or I lost it there?? Weird!

I have tried to get the close up pics like yours, but my cheap little camera doesnt get the details like yours.
As you said a Million hits a day, could make for some changes, or at least open some eyes!!!

No one is more respected then you when it comes to Reels & info!!  People listen!!!
I know it was your tutorials that gave me the confidence to tear into my own reels 6+ yrs ago, and start this addictive hobby....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Nessie Hunter

Making Carbontex Drag washer for the Trynos..  (didnt know where else to put this?).
This was easier then I thought it may be.  
Again Big thanks goes to Dawn...
Now I am confident that these reels will have the Best drags For Cabo fishies!!

Starting with a TLD 20 single speed Washer.  This a close fit for the Trynos 20 II.

Same main body Diameter.

Cut the Ears off the TLD washer and Notch the newly forming Trynos washer.!!!

Starting to look pretty good...

Cut the center to fit Trynos...  Almost done..... (with #1 of 6)

WOW!! Sweet, fits as close to perfect as it gets.  

For the smaller Trynos, 16, 12, 10 & 8.  Done have any washer that fit the smaller center hole.  Tese washer are held in place by Screws also, so have to have right ID & screw holes...

That was not hard at all, Thanks Dawn the Scissors worked super great!!!

Cut the center with Exacto knife and punch holes with Awl/pick.  

Awesome..  They are close to perfect IMHO!!   Im sure they will out perform the stock washer by a long shot, and add some Drag pressure, plus last a lifetime!!!    

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Keith K

Wow...awesome work Frank!

edgarz

Did you get the Carbontex sheet from Dawn?

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: edgarz on March 21, 2011, 12:55:04 PM
Did you get the Carbontex sheet from Dawn?

Yes I did, I do not know if she sells it like that though?????
This may have been an experiment to get info for her to make the Trynos washers???
Sure wouldnt hurt to ask though....   

Dawn dont kill me if your phone rings off the hook!!  LOL
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

that ringing phone is the sound of money.  i'm sure she will be ok if the phone rings more.   ;D

as far as shimano goes, nothing we do here will make a difference with them.  shots are called in japan.  they have no choice but to follow orders.  well, they can quit.  that is their only other choice.  it's a much different situation with okuma.  do you think shimano would make a new reel in 6 months just because i said it would be a good idea?

albacore11

Dawn will have the carbontex drag washers for the Tyrnos in about a month.  She will post their availability both on her site and here on Alan Tani's site.  She would prefer that people do NOT order them until she has them in stock.  I recently picked up an 8II and a 12II and will replace the drag washers once they become available.

Nessie Hunter

Great work Dawn.. Glad to see another set of drags in the line up...

Pretty screwed timing for me..
I have some material, but am leaving town for couple of weeks (11 days)..
Dang I could of cleaned up!!!     lol

Thanks for the update albacore11.....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

edgarz

Thanks for the info Nessie Hunter.

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on March 23, 2011, 12:24:33 AM
do you think shimano would make a new reel in 6 months just because i said it would be a good idea?

Alan: You never know.  Like the man said, it doesn't hurt to ask ::).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

rod27

i have some pretty new Tyrnos 50w 2 speeds that arent smooth at all and im guessing this is the problem.  Looks like ill be calling Dawn.  Ive never taken a reel apart so this should be fun.  Im good with needles but not tools.