tyrnos problems

Started by alantani, July 22, 2010, 06:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: rod27 on April 24, 2011, 01:31:56 PM
i have some pretty new Tyrnos 50w 2 speeds that arent smooth at all and im guessing this is the problem.  Looks like ill be calling Dawn.  Ive never taken a reel apart so this should be fun.  Im good with needles but not tools.

Rod27,  If made in Malaysia Im sure, from what is said in all the posts above, that they are the Poor quality washers...
If you are having less then smooth drag being pulled out, I would change them before you have a catastrophic failure while on a quality fish!! 
An Once of prevention thing...

My 2 cents!!  for what its worth. (about 2 cents, would be my guess, LMAO)....   ;D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

rod27

i took them apart and both were made in Malaysia...but the drags looked fine.  I put them back together as per the great instructions here and on the Shimano website and the drags seem smooth.  Will hopefully catch some fish with them this week.

alantani

were the bearings dry?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rod27

Not really sure since I didn't know to notice since I was putting some corrosion-x anyway.

trentless

just got 2 Tyrnos 8 and will be ordereing new washers asap.  Tore into them to check it out and pre-grease/lube EVERYTHING before they hit the sea.  Just noticed that the lever drag isn't working correctly now.  They were set to free spool with zero drag tension and put back together in same positions  ???
Any ideas on  how to fix?  Do you guys (Alan & Frank) run into this problem or do you not remove the lever drag?  :-[

Bryan Young

Try unscrewing the preset knob (take off), the pulling the cam and try again, maybe rotating it aligning the detent of the cam with the indent of the lever hub.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

make sure the lever is in the free position when you install the cam and preset knob.

trentless

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 22, 2011, 01:47:43 PM
Try unscrewing the preset knob (take off), the pulling the cam and try again, maybe rotating it aligning the detent of the cam with the indent of the lever hub.

This fixed it, thanks.  Now I just need a new drag washer.

Nessie Hunter

Well done!!! 
Dawn at Smoothdrags has the Carbontex washers for the Trynos 8.. 
Best upgrade you can do for it IMHO.....

Just used one of the Trynos Reels I did for Othan ("O") in my Pics. On a 2 day tuna trip (BFT & YFT & YT & Dorado). "O" Landed 2 BFT in the 40/45+# range in about a 20 min span (thats 2 in 20 min)!!!!
Impressive as heck... 

Dang Im spoiled now and want a "set" of them for myself.. Nice reels...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

deepblack

Hi All,
    As of just recently the Australian imports of the Tyronos 10II still have this issue, I assumed they would and basically factored in the cost of the Carbontex upgrade as part of the purchase price of the reel.  The drag is now awesome. ;D

One of the reels also suffered from a screw on the drag clicker side of the spool assembly that sheared off at the base of the head upon removal.  ??? Minimal force was applied and needless to say this was a major pain in the neck when it came time for extraction of the remainder of the screw.
Cheers,
    John.

Bryan Young

I had that happen to me.  Sent it into shimano and got a new part.  Glad you got a screw out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

I have really grown to like these reels a lot....
(especially when they are on sale)!!!

Feed back from the ones I did;
They are kept in Cabo on a panga fleet "O" is 1/2 owner of..
Pino's Pangas....
http://www.pinospangas.com/

He says they have stayed very smooth and even his Customers have made good comments on the quality and function of his equipment. 
He has other reels also besides the Trynos ~ Tiagra's etc..
One set of customers talked about prior trips & the reels fading on big fish BUT these stayed strong & Smooth on long hard fights, they gave him praise for his equipment!!!
He is very happy with them!!!   Needles to say...

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

for the money, they are a great deal!

fisher480

I was about to order some more carbontex drag kits when I read this thread. Sure enough I checked my Tyrnos 8 and I have the dodgy drag washers too. My list grows.

dobrobill

I know this is an old topic, but I'm thinking of a 50 2 speed model. Has shimano resolved the drag problem or are you still seeing it?