tyrnos problems

Started by alantani, July 22, 2010, 06:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

The drag problem was only with the 8s and 10s.  The larger reels were fine.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

dobrobill

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 15, 2012, 03:17:32 AM
The drag problem was only with the 8s and 10s.  The larger reels were fine.

Bryan, Not true..   (sorry buddy).. :-)
I found almost every Trynos had the mushy Washers (some worse then others, but all substandard IMHO) up to size 20 that I worked on. 
Many that Shimano said were not on their bad list....

Do yourself a favor and replace them, cheap insurance!!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

Nessie,

I've worked on a bunch of these reels, and although I too believe they are not the greatest, they did not bust apart like the ones in the 8 and 10s.  These are pressed between 2 metal and if it slides smoothly, you would not have a problem.  If the drags are jerky, then the drags would come apart.

They still worked fine.  If you wanted to bup up the drags, then I would definitely recommend using carbontex drags, which some would have to be modified because of size availability.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Stonecross

First post, time to stop lurking...thanks for all the info BTW!!

I've got an 8, definitely got the dodgy drag washers.

Two other things that I need advice on.

1 - I need to turn the selector knob until there is light drag on, before the reel will freespool (as much as they do)
2 - When I engage the lever up to the strike position, and disengage back, the reel does not slide back, and hence it wont freespool. a light tap on the selector and the reel slips back and can freespool.

I cant see anything out of order, but then I'm not sure what to look for. Any help appreciated.

alantani

the spool rides on the spool bearings, and the spool bearings ride on the spool shaft.  in order to pop in an out of freespool, the spool bearings need to slide back and forth a little.  that is not happening.  pull the spool shaft, clean it up a little, add some corrosion x and you should be good. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Stonecross

Thanks Alan, will give that a try and report back ! :-)

alantani

Sven Golly

I bought a new Tyrnos 8 at Big 5 for $99. Seemed like a cute reel and good deal. Now I read all about the drag washer problems. Does anyone know if the JD-P series (the one I bought) has the same issues? I see Smooth drag is selling their Carbontex washers for this for $12.

I can still take this thing back since it's NIB. My other choice for a similar reel would be the Avet SX 5.3 which would set me back another $40 on sale. (Or maybe I should snag a TLD 20 lol. I'm so confused. :P)

Anyway, I was thinking this would make a nice little live bait reel for the stuff we see off San Diego in the summer/fall. Was thinking of spooling it with 30 lb Spectra + top shot. Not sure if would work well to go to 40.
Gear by Okuma, Daiwa, Stroker, Shimano and a Chinese knock-off.

SoCalAngler

I picked up a 8 two speed last year at the clearance price and did the drag upgrade from Smoothdrag. One warning though is the screws that hold the cooling shield in place are small with tiny heads and you do have to remove the cooling shield to replace the drag washer. They used thread locker on these screws, they are hard to beak loose and I stripped one. I was finally able to get it out and Shimano sent out a replacement screw at no charge.

I did a full pre fishing service to the reel which included cleaning out the spool bearings and relubing with TSI 321. The reel freespool's nicely now but I have yet to catch anything worthwhile on it.

If you don't mind doing this stuff and can live with the racquet the anti reverse dogs make do it. But, for a single speed where parts will be available for many years I'd go with the Avet.

Rothmar2

Been lurking here for a longtime. Thank you Alan and others who contribute here for one of the best sites I have seen for practical use. A credit to all.

Opened up a brand new Tyrnos 30 that was a prize given in a category for a recent Competition, and found this.......

Batch code was KL-P.

Seems as though its not just the small Tyrnos' that have the problem. Looks like I'll have to order from Dawn soon.

Thanks to this forum for giving me the confidence and some background knowledge to take on fixing and maintaining reels.

alantani

they must be getting their fiber washers from the same place.  can i get you to repost this in the "other" section as well.  they are great photos!

Rothmar2

OK will post the handle pix with a little more explaination later.

Forgot to post this one re. the Tyrnos.

Are the drag plates supposed to be grooved as in this photo (if you can make them out!). I suspect not. Have never seen drag plates grooved like this. Appears to be tool marks from manufacture? Any thoughts?

alantani

the tool marks are concentric, so they will be fine. 

Clem

There are a number or washers like that..Stella comes to mind