Grander Blue caught last weekend on a freshly refurbished Penn Int. 80STW

Started by Tightlines667, June 06, 2014, 11:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

After finishing a complete refurb/service/machine spooling on a customer's Penn International 80STW he caught this grander (1080lb)Blue Marlin last weekend.  It's somewhat satisfying to see my work on the reel paid off, as it was reported to have worked flawlessly.  Just though I'd share.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Would've been nice if they hadn't ended the life of such a magnificent animal.   :(

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

whalebreath

Quote from: Aiala on June 06, 2014, 11:54:16 PM
Would've been nice if they hadn't ended the life such a magnificent animal.
X2-sad to see such ignorance.

Tightlines667

Over $2200 at auction and significantly higher profits if smoked and sold piecemeal often trumps the 'conservation ethic' here in HI.  When considered at the grande pacific basin wide population level this fish's death has little impact overall.  Though the grander blue females are by far the mist important in terms of annual recruitment.

Also, I'm not sure, but the fish may have been in poor condition once it was finally brought boat side....I know it was a long battle.  A 'green' grander at boat side can be dangerous.

*The pic got cut by inadvertently my phone.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

None of the fish is wasted.  You don't have to have a commercial fishing license to sell fish at the auction in Hawaii.  Many of these fish are also sold to local restaurants so locals and tourist may have the freshest fish available.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ChileRelleno

Congrats, great fish & catch, a beast!

Who are people to call others ignorant for legally taking a fish?
Sometimes we harvest what we catch, sometimes we C&R. There are times when C&R is not a responsible option.
Remember, PETA labels you the same for simply fishing at all, how dare you hurt that fish with a hook.

Sometimes calling somebody out is called for, other times, say something nice/neutral or say nothing at all.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

conchydong

Quote from: ChileRelleno on June 07, 2014, 02:17:15 PM
Congrats, great fish & catch, a beast!

Who are people to call others ignorant for legally taking a fish?
Sometimes we harvest what we catch, sometimes we C&R. There are times when C&R is not a responsible option.
Remember, PETA labels you the same for simply fishing at all, how dare you hurt that fish with a hook.

Sometimes calling somebody out is called for, other times, say something nice/neutral or say nothing at all.

Excellent post!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Aiala

Big Tim

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 07, 2014, 06:17:59 PM
PETA? People eating tasty Animals? ;D

;D ;D ;D You the man D...Awesome catch & I'm sure it went to the greater good of the community. I don't begrudge anyone's feeling or beliefs. I choose to keep mine to myself

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 07, 2014, 06:17:59 PM
PETA? People eating tasty Animals? ;D
Quote from: Aiala on June 07, 2014, 07:10:05 PM
Pushy Environmentally Totalitarian Activists. 

~A~

Both equally good. As far as I'm concerned PETA is a PITA.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on June 08, 2014, 09:11:49 PM
Both equally good. As far as I'm concerned PETA is a PITA.  Dominick

Whatever the cause, good or otherwise, nothing makes me as nervous as a True Believer/Extremist.  :P

~A~

erikpowell

;D ;D  Great post, thanks for sharing that John.

And nice work on your service, certainly a rewarding, proof positive test of your workmanship.  ;)