Fish Winch electric reel on 9/0 or 12/0?

Started by GORDASKIPPER, June 18, 2014, 03:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GORDASKIPPER

I have a fish winch been setting in my closet for nearly 2 yrs. time to use it. I have 2-Penn 12/0 from early 2000 or so look like new. I was going with a 9/0 then read today for $400.00 an upgrade I would use the 12/0 for more drag as mentioned. Basically dropping for tile fish in 1000-1200ft of water. Any recommendation for reel upgrades parts, drag washers, etc. for my 12/0? I see Alan's gear sleeve for 9/0 98-114AT on Scotts site not sure what is available for 12/0. Any guidance greatly appreciated.   

Shark Hunter

A stock 7 stack of HT-100's in a 12/0 yields about 30 lbs of drag. There are no upgrades for this reel currently available here, but some stainless sleeves should be available by the end of the year. They can be purchased from Electramate for $100 each. Hopefully they will be available here for about half that price. ;) The upgrades available for the 9/0 is a big list. With all the stainless parts and hex drags available. It can be made capable of 50 lbs of drag, but it doesn't have the capacity to hold 1200 feet of line, unless you are using braid and all the upgrades will be costly. It also will require an aluminum frame to keep from twisting.
For pulling fish up from 1200', I would go with the 12/0 for line capacity. I currently fish a 12/0 with stainless double dogs and 130lb test. The rest of the reel is all stock.
Life is Good!

conchydong

I have been deep dropping with a Electramate 12/0 combo for decades and the only upgrade I did was the Stainless steel gear sleeve ( back when they were only about $50.00 at Captain Harrys) and trust me, the stock 12/0 has more than enough drag for tilefish and any other deep drop fish except perhaps extremely large Warsaws. Even with swordfish, you don't want to put too much heat on them as you will pull hooks. A 1 piece aluminum frame sure would be pretty though.

Tightlines667

I would recommend a chromed bronze spool over the lightweight black colored aluminum spool here if your planning on using the thinner diameter braid/spectra/or Dacron type line for increased strength and line capacity.  The alum spools are really designed for mono.  Also, make sure the gear set is well greased if using w/power.  A stainless or hardened steel gear set paired with a stainless gear sleeve would really shine here as well.  I think it might be worth replacing the under gear stock washer with a Delron washer of the same dimension too (available from McMaster-Carr).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I built a 114H 6/0 for the Fish Winch and also have the brackets for the 9/0. After using it one day I put it back in the box. Way too slow for me.

It's mainly b/c I also have the Daiwa Tanacom Bull reels and after using these nothing compares.

I think you will be fine with the 9/0 for the fish you are targeting.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

GORDASKIPPER

Thanks for all the information... however where do I purchase these different items as mentioned in this post if they do exist? I have sent an email to Mo at Scott's for information on upgrades assuming they know something. I also assuming the upgraded drag washers could be purchased at Smooooth Drag? If this gets to complicated may just buy and electric reel...is the 9/0 in the box for sale?

conchydong

This is a follow up to handi2's comments, which I agree with. A few places have the new Tanacom 1000s (similar to the Bull) for $599.00 spooled with JB 80 or 100 solid. That is really all you need for Tiles. Once you use one as opposed to the motor on a senator, you wont want to go back to the old fashioned rig. The level wind and auto stop are worth the price of admission not to mention variable speeds and a jigging feature. I still have the electramate 12/0 rig but due to the weight and pain levelwinding etc. I rarely use it anymore. Hope this helps. Not as much fun as creating your own but sometimes modern technology is nice.

BTW, Daiwa has a service center  in Miami for their electric reels so if you have a problem they can be repaired domestically.

Shark Hunter

The parts do exist. You can go this route with a 7 stack to boost your drag to around 35lbs.

Here is a shot of the alternating double stainless dogs.

Here are the Hex gears and drags for the 9/0 that can produce 50 lbs of drag.

Unfortunately, I sold the last of the Aluminum half frames two weeks ago. A Full Accurate frame is hard to find, but they are out there. I sold the last six frames to Paul Berinson of Berinson's tackle.

All the parts are available on this site, however it is not a one stop shop.
The 7 Stack drag is available from Bryan Young
The stainless Sleeve from scotts or Alan Tani.
The double dogs and stainless yokes from Lee. Keta is his screen name.
The gears from Black Pearl. Either Hex or standard for the 7 stack.(you will have to cut the hex drags yourself) These gears also require a stainless yoke.
There is no 9/0 in the box with these upgrades. It is possible, but you have to hang around to get It done. I have four of these 9/0's. Two with the hex drags and two with the 7 stacks.
If you have any more questions, just ask. ;)
Life is Good!