Flourocarbon - true or lie???????

Started by Jeri, June 26, 2014, 04:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Hi All,

A topical question as fluorocarbon is being discussed.

Given that pure fresh water has a specific gravity of 1.000, and oceanic sea water has a specific gravity of 1.035; and we have waters filling the diversity of that range once we include coastal water and brackish zones. And, within that range the refractive index of the different waters will change according to salinity.

Which water does fluorocarbon 'disappear?? Or is the whole issue of fluorocarbon a questionable concept??

Should manufacturers be more accurate in labelling their fluorocarbon products, as oceanic, coastal, brackish and fresh??? Or are we all being conned into buying a product that 'doesn't quite' do what it says it does???

Any wise souls out there with an opinion???

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Dominick

Jeri from sunny S. Africa:  I don't believe it ever disappears.  If you look at the literature you will see that the manufacturers say it practically disappears.  It is just less visible that other material.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

I just ordered several spools from Black Pearl. I sure hope the whole fluoro thing isn't a chimera!  :P

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Ron Jones

As I have said before, after the SOA trip I am a believer. I'm one of those guys who understands the science but who also understands that in the laboratory of the real world if it works it works. I am convinced floro works, weather it is do to increased sensitivity, near transparency or pixie dust, I dont care. I am just glad to bring home the extra fish.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

i've gone back and forth on this one.  i feel alot better about using spectra now, because i finally found a combination of knots that works with the line.  i used alan chui's fluorocarbon on this last trip.  the leaders were only 3-4 feet each.  i had a tony pena knot from the spectra to the fluoro and a palomar or single san diego from the fluoro to the hook.  that combination worked for me earlier this year on the maximus in puerto vallarta when i hooked into those six big yellowfin tuna.  up until this time, i had tried a variety of knot combinations and just could not get it right.  the knots were either too complicated or the failed. i'm feeling happy about fluorocarbon for the first time in 10 years.  

as far as it's "invisibility," i'm not too worried.  it is certainly not MORE visible that mono, so that makes it either a wash or better.  for the minimal cost, i'll take the potential edge.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

whalebreath

Quote from: noyb72 on June 26, 2014, 05:42:34 PM
....in the laboratory of the real world if it works it works....
Words to live by!

josa1

My recent 15 day Red Rooster III trip was not one of my best by far, but I got bit better using the fluorocarbon so I have more confidence when I use it.

My favorite 100 pound sardine rig is 100 or 130 pound spectra connected to about 100' of 100 pound Izorline Premium XXX mono with a three foot section of fluorocarbon leader,.  I use the overhand technique to connect the mono to the spectra, a Seaguar knot to connect the fluoro to the mono and a single San Diego knot to tie on a Mustad 11/0 or 12/0 circle hook.  I've never had any failures using this connection method.

It was interesting to see that a lot of folks got bit just using a straight tie, mono to hook.  I tried that a few times with not much success.  I agree that using the fluorocarbon provides possible advantages and no discernible disadvantage.
josa1

Newell Nut

My experiences with Flourocarbon for mangrove snapper fishing is that I can use it and catch fish and you can fish next to me with mono and not get a bite. Been proven many times over the years here.

doradoben

I tend to agree with Dominick that it is less visible. I prefer the least number of knots possible, especially near the hook where there is the most pressure.

anglingarchitect

I concur with Dwight on the Mangrove Snapper they are notoriously leader and hook shy, I catch a lot more using flourocarbon than mono.

Sometimes even heavier 30# or 40# fluorocarbon will decrease the number of bites I get, and we typically use 20# and 25# leaders at least 20' long.

BMITCH

I'm not sure if this should be in this thread or not...but here goes. I've heard that when floro is nicked,scraped and or damaged, it will transmit light down it like those lamps from the 70's. You know the ones with the fiber optics. I use floro on EVERYTHING, including mono. So I can't say for sure that it is better or worse. It's worse if you don't have confidence in it. That's for sure.
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

I use mono for trolling (except for kokanee), almost everything else is short (5'-10') Fluro.   On the LR trip the hot stick the first day of YT fishing was Jimmer's using one of my 40# rods with a sort 50# fluro topshot.  He was in the top 5 or 6 the second day, so was I.  I use Fluro for abrasion resistance, low stretch as well as clarity.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

First, there is the question of: Is fluorocarbon line less visible underwater? In my opinion and based on what I have read and experienced over the years, I believe it is. However, I don't believe that it is completely transparent but rather more translucent then monofiliment.

Second, you have to ask: Does being more translucent really matter as much as the manufacturers would like us to believe? This is more contentious. I think that in certain applications that it can definitely matter but depends on a number of factors. What species you are fishing for? What time of day? How deep? How hungry are the fish? What's the water temp? Are you trolling or chunking with little current?

If you are chunking for BFT during the middle of the day then I would say that you are putting yourself at a significant disadvantage by not using it. This type of fishing is already really expensive so why not doing everything you can to try and increase your hookup ratio even if it is only marginal. However, if you are fishing at night, on a new moon, and are casting plugs to stripers in the wash, I think that it is pretty overrated. I seriously doubt that the guy next to you is hitting fish left and right just because he is using fluoro.

I bring both and use it if the fishing is slow or it is a really bright day. If you can afford it, I would say use it all the time to be safe. I change my leader and fish a lot in the summer though; it adds up quick, as does everything else.

Jeri

Hi All,

Didn't expect quite that volume of response, obviously there is a factor of 'less visible', that seems to come through as well as the inevitable 'confidence'. I had a mentor in my early days of fishing who believed strongly that 'confidence' was a large part of the content for a successful angler. Probably why so much money has been made for Rapala with their red head & white lures – there isn't a fish in the world with that colouration, but we probably all have at least one in our lure boxes.

I was hoping that someone with a bit more 'science' might have chipped in; as it is the science that interests me. Obviously fisheries like the California tunas and perhaps fly fishing for trout and salmon have a valid application for seriously 'less visible'. As to being 'invisible' – I think it is just marketing hype – 'less visible' might be a better description.

The factor of scratches I have seen at work with plain nylon mono leaders, even in a surf situation – in clear water and bright light, they 'sparkle' as light reflects off the scratch surface. Have adopted a policy of never re-using a trace or rig after it has been used for a day – as too many times I have found that a new rig will out fish an old one.

We are all looking for that edge to put more fish on our hooks – and that brought the finite question about fluorocarbon.

Thanks for the many responses.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Shark Hunter

I didn't even know what fluorocarbon was until recently. I am fishing for Sharks, so fluoro is not on the agenda. Sharks are supposed to be super sensitive to metal and a lot of sharkers try to hide it by taping their rigs up. My hooks are attached to either 480 lb cable or wire and the shark still eats it. Untaped with the hook exposed. It has resulted in better hook ups for me. Whole different method of fishing.
If they are hungry enough. I guess it doesn't matter. I can't use mono or fluoro for a leader, they will just bite it off, or tail whip it. Sharks have tough skin. ;)
Life is Good!