Penn Senator 12/0

Started by omegafoo, August 02, 2010, 12:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Sorry about the confusion, Franky.  I was referring to the 12/0 (Omegafoo).  I'm gonna take apart a 9/0 tonight for a cleaning, and will put some thought into it.  Are we sure it's the right spool?
Dom

saltydog

I've taken a known flat piece of sheet metal and laid it on thesideplates and if it is warped you will see the light especially if you use a flashlight and you can also use it to find a bent spool.Just my 2 cents ,works for me.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

MetroFail

I have the same old school senator 12/0 as omegafoo
with the 5 thick drag washers and chrome on bronze spool.

my handle (right) side plate is broken and needs replacing.
The old side plate had screw threads for a bushing.
The new side plate has no threads but has place for a bearing and cover instead.

my question is: Can i replace old side plate with the new side plate and bearing and get away with not having to buy the newer aluminium spool aswell?

if i have to replace the spool, there goes my budget long range kite flying reel for kite fishing.
I have access to a lathe and milling machine if the old spool can be modified to fit the new plate and bearing.

Alto Mare

Hello MetroFail, welcome to the site.
You have a tough one there, the new plate will not work with your spool, too bad, there are lots of them for sale. I checked my parts and only have the left side plate. Those plates are not easy to find, maybe someone here can help you out :-\. I've seen some reels as yours in rough shape go for around $100 on ebay, but  never seen one of those plates.
All you can do is to put that reel aside and hope that a plate will show up :-\, I'll keep a eye out.
Good luck to you.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MetroFail

Thanks for the clarification Alto Mare.
i often read posts on this site, but today i decided to join
Things get a little tougher since i live in South Africa. so i may have a little more difficulty getting parts
i think this penn senator has turned out to be a bit of a bust.
I will ask around for that side plate, but it doesnt sound like i have all that good odds of finding one.

All the other parts seem to be the same?

unless i can have one cut from an autocad replica via CnC equiptment.

Alto Mare

I have a shipment of parts coming this week and i believe that there are about a dozen 12/0 plates with it. The plates might all be the newer stock, but you never know :-\, I'll let you konw . Shipping to you might be a killer though, but let me see if I get lucky and receive one first.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

FRITZABU

Quote from: MetroFail on September 09, 2012, 08:01:16 PM
Thanks for the clarification Alto Mare.
i often read posts on this site, but today i decided to join
Things get a little tougher since i live in South Africa. so i may have a little more difficulty getting parts
i think this penn senator has turned out to be a bit of a bust.
I will ask around for that side plate, but it doesnt sound like i have all that good odds of finding one.

All the other parts seem to be the same?

unless i can have one cut from an autocad replica via CnC equiptment.

[/quote

Hi it should not be difficult to find Penn parts in South Africa . We just need to get the local agents , to do their job correctly !!!!

Ever since Purefishing has taken over the previous agent. Its getting a serious problem to get any spares from them ???? Hope fully it will be sorted soon .]
Born to fish but forced to work

MetroFail

Thanks very much that would be greatly appreciated.
i dnt think postage will be too terrible. i got 1000m spool of braid posted here for $20 once
i have put up a wanted add on sealine.co.za just incase.
that would be awesome if you could help me out with a side plate

Fritz is spot on about that agent, i've been trying to order parts from them since Nov 2011 ,for the senator in question, and all i have ever gotten are poor excuses from beyond/pure fishing.
Frtiz has been helping me locally but with little luck.
Penn International should seriously consider revoking purefishings rights as sole distributer for their products here in South Africa. Penn are loosing their customer base due to the total lack of after sales service

Alto Mare

Hello MetroFail, I just received the box and no luck with the plate. The part list was acctually wrong, I was expecting 12 plates and I received 12 beauty rings instead. There was one 12/0 plate but it was the newer type.
Sorry, Sal

George4741

What are you doing, Sal, trying to corner the market on old Penn parts. ;)  I hope you remember your old buddies when we need an obsolescent, impossible-to-find part. ;)
viurem lliures o morirem

Irish Jigger

Bryan Young

Sal, what the...going into the parts business?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

El Pescador

YES!!!!!   Photo of the month!!!!!!!

Sal, are you the sole Penn Parts distributor For the state of Pennsylvania!!!!!!!!

Holy Moly,  what a photo!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Keith K

redsetta

Great stuff Sal - well done.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer