Penn Senator 12/0

Started by omegafoo, August 02, 2010, 12:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Sunken spool problem posibility.
Check reelstand cerefully,could possibly be bent slightly.
Had that problem once.

Buzzz
Buzz

saltydog

I had a few 12/0 Penns and Alan is right your problem is probably the spool spreading under the pressure of mono,the older spools were notorious for it.I have seen several older ones spread so taking the line off is usually the only way to check.Another way to check is to take the spool out of the reel,reassemble it and take the dimentions of the inside of the reel with calipers then check the spool with calipers,I bet you will find it to close to tolerance and the spool is your problem
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

MetroFail

Thanks for checking for me Sal, much appreciated.
thats a pretty serious load of parts you have got there wow.

I was wondering. i have friends who are fitters and turners and i myself have access to fitting and turning equipment.
you guys think it would be possible to replace the old bushing right side plate with a new bearing side plate and fit and turn a part to interface the bearing with the old spool??
I reckon it would be possible provided the bushing and bearing sit in roughly the same place on the side plate otherwise the spool will not be alingned correctly.
what you guys think? is that possible?

Keta

Anything is possible with the right tooling, a craftsman and time.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

MetroFail

X3

Thats what i will do.
it shall be crafted and the reel will be made whole again.

Makule

Quote from: MetroFail on September 12, 2012, 11:44:46 AM
I was wondering. i have friends who are fitters and turners and i myself have access to fitting and turning equipment.  you guys think it would be possible to replace the old bushing right side plate with a new bearing side plate and fit and turn a part to interface the bearing with the old spool??
I reckon it would be possible provided the bushing and bearing sit in roughly the same place on the side plate otherwise the spool will not be alingned correctly.
what you guys think? is that possible?

What you are describing is possible.  The problem won't be fixed, however.  The problem is that the spool itself has been distorted.  More than likely, the lateral (sideways) expansive pressure from the line has separated the flange where it is pressed onto the shaft.  Unfortunately, when this happens, it causes the metal to fatigue/distort, and pressing the flange back will only last as long as there is no pressure against the spool.  As soon as enough line is wound back on the spool with enough pressure, that flange will push out again.  The more this happens, the easier it will be to push out.  My experiences in trying to get the spool back together, by simply pushing the flanges back, has never been successful for the long term.  Never.  My conclusion has been that the only other practical way of dealing with the broken spool is to put the spool on a press, and then pressing and re-expanding the shaft metal so that it again presents a tight enough fit.  Aside from the possibility of distorting/bending the shaft itself, there are other problems involved in this, so I have never attempted it. 

I've also contemplated cutting a new shaft of the proper dimensions and pressing on the flanges.  This would have a better likelihood of success than of re-pressing the old flange/shaft because the metal would not be fatigued and the dimensions correct for the fit.  While I do have the machinery and know-how to do it, I no longer have the need for a 12/0 reel, so I've never tried it.

Again, the short answer is that what you are proposing will work, but it won't solve your problem.  Your problem is not with the side plates or bushings, it's with the spool.  I know that's not what you wanted to hear.  Sorry.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

MetroFail

Hey Makula, Omegafoo is the one with the busted spool.
im the guy with the busted side plate. my spool is A ok.
i have the super old bushings side plate 12/0 and i wasnt sure if the old 3 piece spool would take the new bearing side plate.

sorry im seem to have hijacked this thread.

Sweet, i will give this a shot. though i did email one of the guys at mysticparts.com and he says there is no reason why a new side plate shouldnt work with the 50's old spool according to his notes. no modification needed.

But if thats not the case im well prepared to fabricate or modify a piece

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

Metro, the new plate will not work with the old spool. Besides the ID on the new bearing  being 1mm smaller, the shaft  on your spool is @12mm too short. Here is a shot of what I'm talking about:

your left side of the spool is similar to the new one.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MetroFail

I see, your point is well made.
Fitting and turning a part to solve that problem is not going to be too difficult.
i didnt expect it to work off hand like you previously said.
Turning a shaft extention, held in place by 2 grub screws or even just put a pin through it, should crack it. that is a pretty simple turning job.
i have drill bits in 0.1mm intervals from 1 to 12mm so im sure this won't be to difficult to match the correct diameters if not, it can even be reamed or turned to size.
The reel is only going to be flying a fishing kite not fishing big fish so it should last

Thanks for pointing out the exact problem Sal.
i will go ahead and get the new plate and turn an extention for the spool

can you give me the dimensions of the new spools armature?

Alto Mare

MetroFail, I'm going to advise you not to waste your time on that reel. I have been working with a friend, who is a good machinist for about a year now, some of the work is related to what you're trying to do. He still hasn't come up with a solution  :-\.
Here is something that you might want to consider:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-10-0-Senator-Big-Game-Saltwater-Fishing-Reel-/160878942316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257521d86c

This reel, if purchased at the right price will give you extra parts and the option to convert your 12/0 into a narrower 10/0.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MetroFail

Thanks for the advice Sal, apprecaited.

but i can get this turning done for free, so im going to take a chance, if it doesnt work i havent really lost out that much.
But yeah a decent second hand senator, in place of the one i have, is on the cards if this fails. then atleast i will have spares from my current 12/0 for a second used 12/0
Getting reels off Ebay is pricey postage wise, also customs are mean.
it seems that guy wont ship to South Africa Either.

Thanks again, i will let you guys know how it turns out, no pun intended  ;) but im prepared to take this risk in the spool modification

Alto Mare

I understand Metro. Good luck with your project, I'm hoping that it will work out for you. Just in case it doesn't, you would still be helping all of us here and that's what this site is all about.
Sal

UKChris

I'm pretty new here so I hope I'm not butting in, but I have two of the newer ball-bearing 12/0s and the spools on both have tiny little washers on the ends that allow you to centre the spool once the side-plates are screwed in place. These also ensure just the right amount of side-to-side play in the spools because, as you know, you can't adjust that as you could with the older screw in bushing.

I didn't know older 12/0 had bushings, so that shows me up! I'd only seen them on the older 9/0 and the black plate 6/0 and smaller.

But, perhaps a few of these washers on the right hand end of the spool shaft will centre the spool and the play can be adjusted by unscrewing the left hand bushing to compensate. Might be easier than machine work.

UKChris

Keta

Quote from: UKChris on September 26, 2012, 03:47:15 PM
I'm pretty new here so I hope I'm not butting in....

No you aren't, thank you.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain