113H under gear washer

Started by Jerseymic, July 19, 2014, 10:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

cutting the Delrin washers the same size as the gear ratchet will not work, the washer will interfere with the dogs.
You could make them a little smaller, but this is what I would recommend:

Cutting them a 1/8" wider than the ratchet, same as the larger Senators, should keep the dogs happy.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Thanks for posting that! 

The dog(s) should indeed be happy. 

Those are some wicked looking ratchet designs for the larger senators.  Are these SS sleeves (and I'm assuming dogs) in production? Or did they come from a limited 'experimental' run?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Yes they are nice sleeves, I'm not sure if they're going into production.
Did you notice the additional teeth?
About the larger Delrin washers, I do not have punches that size, I scribe the sheet using the stock washer to trace and cut the OD with scissors.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 20, 2014, 01:07:10 PM
Yes they are nice sleeves, I'm not sure if they're going into production.
Did you notice the additional teeth?
About the larger Delrin washers, I do not have punches that size, I scribe the sheet using the stock washer to trace and cut the OD with scissors.

Have you still got your lathe Sal? Why not buy some delrin round stock and turn them? I will be doing this for my 6/0 build. Will do a much neater job, and you can tweak the washer thickness if need be.

Alto Mare

Rothmar, you're right, that would do a much better job. My mini lathe is a pain to set up, or maybe it's just me that don't have the patience ;D. my wife is complaining about me making a mess in the basement, I don't have a garage where I live.
The washer doesn't need to be perfect, you'll get away if it's a little out of shape.
By the way, I just put together a 112H, having that washer 1/8" to 3/16" larger than the ratchet, really helps, the dogs and drags are working nicely.
I believe you guys would get away even with a larger washer, maybe 1/8" away from the main gear teeth on all the gears would be a good .

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 20, 2014, 11:59:23 AM
Thanks for posting that! 

The dog(s) should indeed be happy. 

Those are some wicked looking ratchet designs for the larger senators.  Are these SS sleeves (and I'm assuming dogs) in production? Or did they come from a limited 'experimental' run?
Those ss sleeves should be available before the end of the year. Sal and me are the only ones that have them to the best of my knowledge. Lee's ss dogs are a perfect match for these.
I will be sending your Delrin tomorrow John. This reel look familiar?

Lee's 12/0 dogs are 14/0 length, they are a perfect match to this ratchet.

Life is Good!

Rothmar2

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 20, 2014, 02:59:02 PM
Rothmar, you're right, that would do a much better job. My mini lathe is a pain to set up, or maybe it's just me that don't have the patience ;D. my wife is complaining about me making a mess in the basement, I don't have a garage where I live.
The washer doesn't need to be perfect, you'll get away if it's a little out of shape.
By the way, I just put together a 112H, having that washer 1/8" to 3/16" larger than the ratchet, really helps, the dogs and drags are working nicely.
I believe you guys would get away even with a larger washer, maybe 1/8" away from the main gear teeth on all the gears would be a good .

"She who must be obeyed" is not happy with the machining mess. Bummer, they are messy things no doubt the lathes. Pity you don't have a garage.
Thanks for the sizing tips with the under-gear washers. Will certainly give that a go.
BTW, those ratchets with the extra teeth look unreal. Would love one for the 6/0.

Alto Mare

Daron mentioned that he had a 5' piece of Delrin and thought that it would be too much for him so he spread it out to members. I needed to ordered another 5' :-\, I have too many friends ;D.

Dominick

Sal don't look now but you are a general contractor.  Why not just build a garage?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Lookin good Daron.  Glad to see you're improving that reel.  I'd love to hear that reel with the double dogs and modified gear sleeve in action.

I just got my laminated CF sheet, and my punch set today.  I just realized my 1" and 1 1/4" punches are not gonna be big enough for what I had in mind though.  Guess I'll make a template and use the scissors, and Dremel. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

John,
I punched my Delrin the same as the stock 12/0 drags. I will make it bigger on the 14/0. The Delrin that will be heading your way tomorrow is .030. The stock undergear I took out measured .034.
These are 12/0 pieces. 1 1/4" OD, 5/8" ID.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on July 22, 2014, 04:15:25 AM
Sal don't look now but you are a general contractor.  Why not just build a garage?  Dominick
Dominick, I do have a garage, but I need to drive to it.
I also have a nice 10'x16' shed in back of my house, that one is also loaded with tools :-\

You should remember it, you've been here ::)  ;D
Seriously though, I'm not that excited about that lathe, It does do a very nice job on tiny parts though, but not good enough for me. :-\
I'll think about a better one for when I retire, if I'm still around  ;D.

johnachak

Hi Sal, I agree I just put a Delrin undergear in a 113 and it seems smoother. I worry about the C/F washer swelling or shredding and interfering with the dog. I guess I'll have to change over the whole arsenal. They mostly have the standard Penn fiber washers because of my fear of the C/F undergear.

crackerman

Pardon my question, the purpose of drags is to provide a resistance to torque between the gear sleeve and the main gear. The under gear washer does just that, and anything on top of the stack turns with the star wheel and handle. Anything to reduce friction in these areas seems to be counter intuitive to the performance of the drag stack in general. Is my thinking skewed?

I tend to agree with Keta, that if things are deburred, there wont be an issue, but onthe other hand i have heard of penn ht 100's be crushed and destroyed, while the smooth drag cf washers can take the pressure.

Shark Hunter

CF under the main gear provides no drag. It might cause a little resistance, we are trying to avoid that and the jerky drags. Most all star drag reels have a fiber washer underneath from the factory. We are just improving on that. Put a CF of any type under your 12/0 main gear, when you catch a fish big enough to pull some locked down drag, It will be shredded. I think the delrin is the next best thing than actually having a roller bearing under the gear.
Life is Good!