113H under gear washer

Started by Jerseymic, July 19, 2014, 10:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseymic

Hi Guys,

I am putting together a 113H, stainless dogs, stainless gear sleeve and Black Pearl stainless gear and pinion.

I am using a five stack  inside the main gear using HT100 washers, do I use a standard HT100 washer under the main gear leaving the outside diameter as is, or do I have to reduce it to the outside diameter of the teeth on the gear sleeve.

Many thanks,

Mike.

Keta

Under high pressure a CF under washer can cause jerky drag if it has a larger OD than the minor diameter of the AR ratchet, I like to reduce the OD.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Hey Mike, I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I do not use a carbon fiber washer for under the main gear anymore.
I actually just got done testing this reel, using a delrin for under the gear and one under the tension spring on top. The reel felt nice and smooth while reeling in 20lbs by turning the handle.

Most members are still using a carbon fiber washer for under the gear, so I might be the only one using the delrin :-\ , all of my reels will have this set up.
If you did want to give it a try, just let me know and I'll send you a couple.
Cheers, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jerseymic

Quote from: Keta on July 19, 2014, 02:45:33 PM
Under high pressure a CF under washer can cause jerky drag if it has a larger OD than the minor diameter of the AR ratchet, I like to reduce the OD.

Thanks for the advice Lee, this is the reel that has been waiting to be done since last year, I have been gathering parts to go with the ones you sent me, nearly there.

Mike.

Jerseymic

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 19, 2014, 03:22:24 PM
Hey Mike, I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I do not use a carbon fiber washer for under the main gear anymore.
I actually just got done testing this reel, using a delrin for under the gear and one under the tension spring on top. The reel felt nice and smooth while reeling in 20lbs by turning the handle.

Most members are still using a carbon fiber washer for under the gear, so I might be the only one using the delrin :-\ , all of my reels will have this set up.
If you did want to give it a try, just let me know and I'll send you a couple.
Cheers, Sal

Thank you Sal, I would love to give it a try, your the man, if you say they are good they must be good!

Like I said to Lee, this reel was thought about last year, just a few more bits to gather and I will put it together, will post photos of the build when it all happens.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on July 19, 2014, 02:45:33 PM
A carbon fiber washer for under the gear will cause jerky drags, no matter what size.
Be cautious how you cut those, they might interfere with the dogs if OD is off.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jerseymic on July 19, 2014, 03:43:35 PM
Thank you Sal, I would love to give it a try, your the man, if you say they are good they must be good!

Like I said to Lee, this reel was thought about last year, just a few more bits to gather and I will put it together, will post photos of the build when it all happens.

Thanks again,

Mike.
I'll get some out to you.

crackerman

On my 900h i am using alan's drag stack, which includes a carbon drag under the main gear. It is liquid smooth. That is the only comparison i have as my other reels currently use the factory penn fiber washer. But they arent so smooth as they werent greased with cals grease.

I will be doing the heavy drag/ run across the yard on the two new drag stacks i am putting together, one in my 12/0 and the other a 113hlw, to see how they work out.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 19, 2014, 03:46:16 PMA carbon fiber washer for under the gear will cause jerky drags, no matter what size.
Be cautious how you cut those, they might interfere with the dogs if OD is off.

The top of the ratchet needs to be smooth, no burs, and the CF washer OD needs to be smaller than the minor diameter of the gear sleeve AR ratchet.  Non CF washers (Delrin) eliminate potential AR dog failure.  I'm trying to find some Orcot sheet to test.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

The washer for under the gear should act as a bearing not drags, and I just found out that an additional Derlin on top of the drag stack helps even more.
You guys use whatever you like, I'm not selling you anything...just my opinion.

Shark Hunter

I'm with Sal on the Delrin. I can immediately tell a difference in my 12/0's with a Delrin washer under the main gear. Much smoother. I persued this after seeing that one good sized shark destroys the under gear washer when its cf.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Are you guys cutting the Delron washer(s) dimensions to match the stock under gear washer?  The OD is greater then the OD of the ratchet on the gear sleeve.  The photo is of a 12/0 gear sleeve and stock under gear washer which measures about 30mm OD/16mm ID/1mm thickness.  Daron, is the thickness a close match to the sheet you supplied?  I'm looking forward to my sheet so I can test out my new punch set, and start trying the Delron in 12/0 and 14/0s.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Jerseymic

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 19, 2014, 03:47:51 PM
Quote from: Jerseymic on July 19, 2014, 03:43:35 PM

Thanks again,

Mike.
I'll get some out to you.

Thanks Sal,

Looks like I will be the first guy in the U.K. to have Delrin washers in my drags, what does it feel like having international fame ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jerseymic on July 19, 2014, 09:52:01 PM
Thanks Sal,

Looks like I will be the first guy in the U.K. to have Delrin washers in my drags, what does it feel like having international fame ;D
;D
Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 19, 2014, 09:45:46 PM
Are you guys cutting the Delron washer(s) dimensions to match the stock under gear washer?  The OD is greater then the OD of the ratchet on the gear sleeve.  The photo is of a 12/0 gear sleeve and stock under gear washer which measures about 30mm OD/16mm ID/1mm thickness.  Daron, is the thickness a close match to the sheet you supplied?  I'm looking forward to my sheet so I can test out my new punch set, and start trying the Delron in 12/0 and 14/0s.
I would make them the same as Penn stock, the "older Penn engineers" were smarter than us. The one I change in size is the 4-349. That one is .500" ID and .750" OD. The OD on mine is .880".

johnachak

I got Delrin washers from Dawn and they seem to work very well under the gear. As for longevity, we'll have to wait a year or two till these get redone again.