113H under gear washer

Started by Jerseymic, July 19, 2014, 10:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Sorry John I was answering Bryan and noticed that you said the same... well, in a more refined way ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johnachak

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 26, 2014, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: johnachak on July 23, 2014, 01:24:26 PM
Hi Sal, I agree I just put a Delrin undergear in a 113 and it seems smoother. I worry about the C/F washer swelling or shredding and interfering with the dog. I guess I'll have to change over the whole arsenal. They mostly have the standard Penn fiber washers because of my fear of the C/F undergear.
Glad you're giving it a shot John but we're not done yet ;D.
I'm currently testing a Derlin spacer

These will make cranking the star under stress much easier, the will also help with keeping the gear aligned and best of all.... smoothness.
I'm liking the results so far, the reel feels very smooth. I'm really pushing it hard and looks like the Delrin is holding up nicely.
I'm trying to find the proper size, but not having luck, I'm getting very close though, nothing that a drill and sandpaper couldn't fix.
The guys at McMaster-Carr are awesome, John sent me some samples for me to play with.
Of course these won't work with the easy access drag system for the larger Senators, but McMaster-Carr does carry solid round stock for our machinists here to work with ;D, I'm sure they could make us some cool looking top hats ;)

Wow, Sorry Sal I was away a few days. I wonder how long those will hold up? If they don't compress and swell up. I normally make sure I brush grease on the top of the spacer, on the bottom of the star and on both side of any Bellville(s). With the Delrin tube we are free to cut it to length. I like that.

Tightlines667

Another thought that comes to mind regarding the use of a Delron spacer/washer/bushing on the top of the drag stack on larger senators is that...
It seems it would be best to ensure there are stainless steel washers in direct contact with the spring washer, since these will remain more ridgid and ensure the drag curve is maintained through even application of pressure.  I think fitting a Delron washer in on top of the stack would work great provided SS washers are still utilized for direct contact with the top CF washer in the stack, and steel is utilized directly adjacent to the spring washer.  The setup would of course vary by model.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Yes, a stainless steel washer is a good idea when using a sleeve, but on larger senators from 4/0 to 16/0 I would like someone to make us a Delrin top hat, no sleeve or washer, the Delrin top hat should be ok gliding over the Belleville, they could make it nice and beefy for us. Not all 4/0's and 6/0's will take them though, only the ones with easy access drag system.

Hey Johnachack, I've been testing those on a jigmaster and are holding up nicely, we need to see if they will do the same on a larger reel. The Delrin is also used to make gears, I'm thinking they'll do just fine.

Some power drive that we probably use here have Delrin gears.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

Sal, any chance of putting up a sketch, with dimensions, for the top hats, namely the 4/0 and 6/0's?
Have never seen one, but would like to turn a couple up.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rothmar2 on July 30, 2014, 10:11:18 PM
Sal, any chance of putting up a sketch, with dimensions, for the top hats, namely the 4/0 and 6/0's?
Have never seen one, but would like to turn a couple up.

Sure thing Rothmar, as soon as I get a chance.
I just want you to know that I still visit your page to look at some of your projects that you've been doing, you do some nice work my friend.

here are a couple of shots of what it looks like:

And the dimensions:
for the 4/0 (113H )  ID 12.60mm  OD 29mm        height  8 mm
for the 6/0 (114H )  ID 14.20mm  OD 31.45mm   height 10.65 mm
for the 9/0 (115 )... same as the 6/0
for the 10/0 and 16/0 we'll worry about it later, those would only need a washer, I'm thinking 3.5mm in thickness.

Rothmar2

No rush Sal, will be sourcing some larger Delrin stock ASAP, won't be home from work for a few days yet.
Have a bit more to add to that thread as soon as I can upload the photos I have taken.
I really like where this thread has gone, and will be following up with these mods as well.
Thanks again for showing us all the way.

And thanks for the pix and dimensions!

johnachak

Hey Johnachack, I've been testing those on a jigmaster and are holding up nicely, we need to see if they will do the same on a larger reel. The Delrin is also used to make gears, I'm thinking they'll do just fine.

Some power drive that we probably use here have Delrin gears.
[/quote]

Where did you find the Delrin tube? How bad is it to cut? Dremel cutoff wheel maybe?

Shark Hunter

McMaster Carr sells rods of Delrin. Blocks, Balls, Sheets. They have it! ;)
Life is Good!

johnachak

I couldn't find a Delrin Spacer. I found glass filled etc. but not Delrin. What did you use as a search term?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: johnachak on August 03, 2014, 07:23:03 PM
I couldn't find a Delrin Spacer. I found glass filled etc. but not Delrin. What did you use as a search term?
Hold up on the spacer John, I'm still trying to find the proper size. I had to sand the ID on the jigmaster and the 4/0. The 4/0 was close but still needed some sanding.
It would probably be better to get someone here to make us some that would fit nice and snug.
Just replace the washer for under the gear for now, that would already be a good improvement for these reels.

maxpowers

Thanks Sal.  I bought a strip of the delrin and made a undergear washer for my converted 506hs with steel 4:1.  No loss in the drag pressure(~25 lbs with the dremelled ears) and the reel is really smooth.

johnachak

Thanks Sharkhunter. Sal, I'll hold off. I ordered my Delrin undergear washers from Dawn. They were reasonably priced and they fit perfectly. Thanks again for all the excellent info! You guys are amazing.