New member here

Started by Krabby Patties, August 10, 2014, 01:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krabby Patties

Hello all.
Been reading a lot here lately.  Just joined up.
I'm in NC, and fish a lot. I'm just getting into shark fishing since a couple weeks ago I landed a 57" BT on a penn defiance 30 with 30# line. Man what a rush. I was flounder fishing and had my biggest rod slack line ing a 5-6" pin fish. When he hit he nearly had me spooled in ten seconds before we could get switched around in my boat and chase him down to get some line back. Then it was give and take while chasing him for about an hour to get him to the boat.
I have since bought a 114h2 combo to start out with on the cheap since I may only get to go 2-3 times a year. I have it spooled with 300 yds of 80# Power Pro braid and the remainder is Ande 50#. 

Krabby Patties

Oh yeah, I was thinking about getting the daiwa sealine 600 or 900 but read so much about difficulty getting parts and that that have been discontinued. I've had good luck with the penn reels I have so I went ahead and got the 114. I'll probably either get another one day or another brand after some more research. My penn spinners and the defiance 30 reel have impressed me a lot over the years though.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

harryk3616

who lives in a pineapple under the sea,   welcome, long island  ny

DaBigOno

Aloha!    Welcome Krabby
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Welcome Krabby Patties! ;D
Nice Blacktip! That was my first shark. Caught on a Bluefish head. Those BT's are feisty!
Life is Good!

Dominick

Welcome Krabby.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Krabby Patties

I hear BT is a good eating fish. I let that one go since I didn't really know what it was at the time. I thought it was a black tip but had never seen one other than tv and at the aquarium.

Shark Hunter

I have heard they are good to eat. Unless he dies accidentally, I will let them go. The Key is to clean them immediately. Sharks urinate through their skin. That's why its important.
Blacktips are often confused with Spinner sharks. The tell tale sign of a Blacktip in the white line down their side. Where the grey stops and there is a definitive whiter part on the bottom portion.
There is no size limit on these in the gulf.
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Welcome Krabby!

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 10, 2014, 11:45:28 PM
I have heard they are good to eat. Unless he dies accidentally, I will let them go.
The Key is to clean them immediately. Sharks urinate through their skin. That's why its important.
Well...  Yes & No.
It is easier to say they do for general purposes, but it isn't urination as we know it.

Sharks do not urinate as most animals do. Sharks convert urine to urea; a toxic compound which is really converted ammonia. Urea is absorbed in the flesh of the shark and expelled through the skin. When a shark dies this urea is converted back to ammonia. That is why shark meat has a slight ammonia taste and smell.

"Cartilaginous fishes such as sharks, rays, and skates, have plasma that is approximately isosmotic to seawater. This unusually high osmotic concentration (compared to that of other vertebrates) is maintained by high levels of urea and trimethylamine oxide (TMAO) in the blood. In most vertebrates, levels of urea this high would damage proteins, but the presence of the TMAO helps to stabilize these protein molecules against the adverse effects of urea. Excess inorganic electrolytes, such as Na+ and Cl- which diffuse into the blood at the gills, are excreted by way of the kidneys and also by means of a special excretory organ called the rectal gland that is located at the end of the alimentary canal."

Blacktips are often confused with Spinner sharks.
The tell tale sign of a Blacktip in the white line down their side. Where the grey stops and there is a definitive whiter part on the bottom portion.
Definitive difference between BT & Spinner for positive ID:
BT's dorsal originates over pectoral fins, anal fin lacks black tip.
Spinner's dorsal originates behind pectorals, anal fin tipped with black,

There is no size limit on these in the gulf.
Not true in all Gulf states, AL follows Federal regulations and has a 54" min FL (30" dressed) for BTs.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Krabby Patties

From what I understand its 54" in NC. for BT.
Never heard about the origin of the dorsal fin before, but interesting. It seems in most pics I've seen the spinners have much more pronounced black tips. Also the anal fin is tipped.

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Bryan Young

Before it gets too technical, Welcome Krabby
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

erikpowell