I don't think I'll beat this

Started by Cone, August 17, 2014, 10:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

Fifteen foot. 1011 lb alligator was taken Friday in Alabama on the Alabama River. 
http://www.al.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2014/08/alabama_hunter_and_her_crew_ki.html
  I would try if I saw one though!     Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

ChileRelleno

Yeah, I read that earlier today, freaking crazy big gator!
Possible new World Record  :o

You can set the new Florida State Record, we've faith in ya. ;D
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Dominick

Bob.  What kind of weapon do you use to kill a 1000 pound gator?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cone

Dominick, In Florida you have to restrain the alligator. When you have it boatside they allow you to use a powerhead to dispatch him. Firearms are not allowed to be used with the exception of a powerhead. No baited hooks are allowed but a snatch hook is ok.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Cone

Dominick, here is a link to the 2014 training manual. It covers the rules, permitted ways to harvest alligators etc.
http://m.myfwc.com/media/2198649/alligator_training_manual_2014.pdf   
Bob

Dominick

Thanks Bob.  I read it all.  Interesting stuff in there.  Also I have come to the conclusion that you need to take your lawyer along to make sure you are in compliance at all times.  I won't bill you for the time.  (I hated to write that it made the hair on my arms tingle).   ;D ;D Good luck on the hunt.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Cone

Dominick, you know I'd love to have you with me in the swamps. If I have tags you are welcome to come along and take one. Maybe an alligator would look good on the mantle at Christmas. Besides I've never seen the Tarzan thing done in real life.  ;D Come on down and we will try to fill your tag first.
Bob

Shark Hunter

Not a Hair on your Butt Dominick! :D
Life is Good!

jonnou

we don't have gators here but from what iv'e seen gaffer tape and a lot of courage is all you need

Newell Nut

I see catching gators sort of like catching wild hogs. Both are risky, gutsy and adrenalin rush. I have not done the gator thing but have caught a wild hog and you have to move fast once the dogs latch on to the ears and nose. Have your 3/8 manila rope in hand, quickly knock the hog over and plant knee behind the jaw. And sort of in the same motion grab the lower front foot and tie it first and then tie to the back legs. Takes team work to not get seriously injured. I have some friends that have done the killing of a wild hog with a knife for their chest pumping thrill.

Having survived my youth I will stick to fishing now.

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 20, 2014, 02:32:43 AM
Not a Hair on your Butt Dominick! :D
Daron, check out x-ray photos of alligator attacks.  Those suckers do a lot of damage.  I think I'll go shave again.   ;D Dominick

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

This talk of Dom's butt hair is kind'a creeping me out  :-\
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."