Old non-bearing 9/0 or Penn Mariner 49 for deep drop fishing

Started by JA_Angler, August 21, 2014, 11:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JA_Angler

Hey guys. I am targeting snappers in waters up to 800+ ft. I have a choice between a old Penn 9/0 (non-bearing, was left-handed but converted to right-handed) or a Penn 49 mariner (black sideplate, seems to be in good condition). I am leaning towards the 349 though I initially wanted the 9/0. Line being used is 500yd of 65/80lb PowerPro with 5-7lb sinker. Any suggested upgrades for either should be less than $30.00. Awaiting your guidance. I am getting either reel for $50.00. Kent

Shark Hunter

The Mariner is a good reel. A 5 to 7lb weight might just put it to the test. $30 to upgrade isn't very much. I would go with at least a stainless sleeve and new drags on the 9/0. JMO
Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

Maybe a 349 but definitely not a 49. And you need to realize that parts for the 349 are very hard to find -- and getting hard to find for the 49 as well.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

I've got 10 349's now and a pile of parts so I will be fishing them and passing them down to my son.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I know the 349 is your area of expertise Lee, but is it really up to pulling up a 7lb weight from 800'?
I would choose the 9/0 just for capacity and drag. What kind of drag numbers can you get from a 349 on a $30 budget?
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 22, 2014, 03:59:57 AM
I know the 349 is your area of expertise Lee, but is it really up to pulling up a 7lb weight from 800'?
I would choose the 9/0 just for capacity and drag. What kind of drag numbers can you get from a 349 on a $30 budget?

I do 48oz and 700' plus with them, 2.3:1 and 3.25:1 gear ratios and long handle arms make it easy.  I can't remember what a 9+1 (as far as I know I'm the only one that has these) or 7+1 (Dawn sells 7+1 sets) 349 produces (they came with a 3 washer drag) for drag but I fish them with 50lb and get a very smooth 20 pounds.

The 6/0 and 9/0 are much stronger reels but not narrow.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I think the 349 is a fine reel. I have yet to add the Master Mariner to my Arsenal. I have a pair of Super Mariners. I am sure with the Budget JA is on. There is no way he can upgrade the 349 with a $30 Budget. A stock 9/0 with a 5 stack puts out about 25 lbs. That's the only reason I said 9/0. If he goes with just a basic drag upgrade, He can pull that off. With all the upgrades available, That reel can be turned into a 50lb reel. You just have to add a zero to his Budget. ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

The imposable to find aluminum spools for 349's sell for $80.00 and up.

Mark Twain

conchydong

Use the 9/0. Several companies offer motor attachments for them. Cranking 5 lb weights from 800' will get old and you will come to appreciate the electric motor. Also as mentioned, parts are more readily available for 9/0s in addition to having the ability for greater drag and line capacity.

Alto Mare

I also vote for the 9/0. You've mentioned $30 budget, that won't get you much, I would at least upgrade the drags, unless you already have them in and a stainless steel sleeve, as Shark Hunter and Conchydong mentioned above. Akfish also makes a good point, the 349 parts are very hard to find and as I always said, I believe a narrowed 6/0 is a much better reel, but the kit alone is close to $200 :-\.
Good luck with whatever you decide with the reel and on bringing those monsters to the boat. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Be careful the 9/0 bushing reels may have a three piece spool. If you use mono they have been known to have bad things happen to a three piece spool. My vote would be for a newer 9/0 with bearings.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Spectra eliminates most of this problem and is better for fishing deep.

Mark Twain

CaptDavDavis01

Get the 9/0.   

Leave the 49/349 for a teaser reel.  You would kill it on the first trip.  It's got a 4/0 drag- not even close.

Alto Mare

Captain, don't compare the 49 to the 349, they're different animals. The 349 main gear is shorter than the 9/0 but wider, the pinion is also shorter but a little wider with a thicker wall.  The 349 could handle the job, but as Akfish mentioned parts are very hard to find  :-\. By the way, I'm talking about the slower ratio gears.
With that said, I still like the narrowed 6/0 compared to the 349.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.