9/0 Hot rodding

Started by Shark Hunter, August 25, 2014, 05:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I had a member here that wanted me to Hot Rod his 9/0. It was a very funny coincidence that The improved Black Pearl pinions arrived today after 8 months. Some people show up at the exact right time.
Well, Mike, you are going to make me earn my money on this one. Wheel bearing grease, Damn!
Stinky and makes it harder to complete my task here. Asbestos drag 3 stack.

I bet this reel didn't pull 10 lbs of drag.
I'm not messing around here. I wiped off all the grease I could and soaked the parts in some coleman fuel. Excellent cleaner for this type of situation.

Plate cut for the double dogs, Drags cut for Black Pearl's Hex gear, Handle polished, stainless parts all prepped.

Here you go Mike. 50lb drag capable 9/0 Brother! Stainless Sleeve, yoke, double stainless dogs and springs, Keta Krank, Alan's Kokelar grip and the infamous Dom and Tom Silver Frame! Ready for Battle!
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Nice work Daron!
That reel looks like a beast.
Were you able to upgrade to a SS yoke as well?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Yes Sir! Dawn's ss yoke and Delrin on the top and bottom! Mike was serious about this build, and so was I! The stainless yoke is mandatory in this application. So were the .140 drags which are unobtanium!
Enjoy Mike! ;)
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Schweeet work Daron!  ;)
I just received a box of reels to repair and service, among them are two 9/0's ... the one with aluminum spool will get traded to me  ;)
....So, soon to commence DomTom Special Megatank#3 for my buddy here.... it'll sport Adam's (3Sevens) 9/0 arm.

Did you cut those delrin washers yourself?
Could you spare a few more?  :D

Tiddlerbasher

Black Pearl

Quote from: erikpowell on August 25, 2014, 06:45:30 AM
Schweeet work Daron!  ;)
I just received a box of reels to repair and service, among them are two 9/0's ... the one with aluminum spool will get traded to me  ;)
....So, soon to commence DomTom Special Megatank#3 for my buddy here.... it'll sport Adam's (3Sevens) 9/0 arm.

Did you cut those delrin washers yourself?
Could you spare a few more?  :D

Hi Erik,

Have you received my PMs?

Thanks,
--Alan

Marcq

That's a beast!! Great work  8)

Marc..

handi2

Me Likey..! What are the improved pinions..?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Alan Chui had them redone in 416 stainless. The 316 failed in one of Sal's tests.
Life is Good!

mjg3

Shark Hunter All I can say is wow!!!! I cant wait to put it to the Test here in the shark bite capital!!! Central Florida! Not the biggest but between the 2 reels we have 62 tagged Tippers , spinners, nurse, lemons, a couple bulls and probably a dozen Large 75lbs + sting rays Thanks Again Mike  call me when you get a chance !

mjg3

Oh by the way I had nothing to do with the internals of the reels !!! got them from ebay in a package deal with my 68 impala ss parts!!

Newell Nut

Nice work on the old workhorse.

Rothmar2

Beautiful customized weapon. Should pull up the bities quick smart.
Great work again.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 25, 2014, 07:40:39 PM
Alan Chui had them redone in 416 stainless. The 316 failed in one of Sal's tests.
Yes, Alan is now getting us heat treated 416 stainless pinions...those are very strong.

Good job on that reel Daron ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Thanks for the comments Everyone! ;D Sal, I cut those drag washers as tight as I could get them. They had to be pushed in. Mike purchased some of the last Silver frames that were available. I wouldn't fish this reel without it. ;)
Life is Good!