Super Mariner question

Started by $Bill, August 31, 2014, 02:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

$Bill

I recently got my first Super Mariner #49. I've been playing with it a little but I can't figure out why it has two levers instead of one. They both seem to do the same thing, which is free spool. What am I missing here? I'd like to get a little advice on this reel before I have to open it up and learn the hard way. Can anyone here help me shorten the learning curve?  ???
you have to believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing!

foakes

You are right, one is free spool (gear disengaged) like on most conventional Penns.

The other actually allows you to run the spool backwards while the gear is engaged -- there is no loss of control.

These are deep trolling reels -- sometimes there can be a lot of weight and resistance out there when at depth.  If a free spool situation got out of control because of the back pressure -- one could at the very least lose most of your gear when a birds nest occurs.  One could also be injured by an out of control free spool at high speed under pressure.  A busted finger, or a deep cut are all possibilities.  In the early days, it was common for these reels to be filled with wire line when trolling deep.

For me, when bottom fishing at depth -- if I get hung up -- I can just release the reverse gear lever, and hopefully put enough controlled slack in my line to get free.

Great reels -- but don't be afraid to break it down for service.  The Master Mariner series is one tough reel.  There are many upgrades to the 49, 149, 349.  This reel is no longer made by Penn, and it has an almost fanatical following for folks who know their tackle, and fish for big fish.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

$Bill

Thanks Fred. I do want to tear it down and check the inside before I use it. I'm sure it will at very least need some new lube applied.
you have to believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing!

foakes

There is no end to the upgrades and money one can spend on these reels...

Some may or may not agree, but at a bare minimum...I would completely disassemble, inspect, clean all parts, lube gears, inside rings, inside side plates, light coat of grease on the bridge, etc..., and all interior mechanics with Yamaha Marine lube or Penn Grease.

Use a synthetic oil on shafts, dogs, any bearings, etc.  I use a specialized oil, but most guys use CorrosianX.

Replace the drags with Carbon Fiber HT-100s, replace the under gear washer with one made of Delrin.  Grease the drags with Cal's or Shimano drag grease.

Install a power handle -- and that would be it.  You will be astounded at how well this reel will perform with just these small, inexpensive changes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

redsetta

G'day Bill,
I agree with Fred, these are great reels.
If you want to go the whole hog, try the 'Monster Mariner' ;)
Good luck!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Tiddlerbasher

Great work there Justin.
Unfortunately (for me) every time I now gaze at my 349 I'm thinking - Tib frame, double dogs, stainless sleeve etc. Then there is still the 114H to work on sigh! Work, work, work :D
In the meantime the Penns have pride of place atop the dresser in the dining room :)

Alto Mare

Here is a man that knows how to display his treasures, just don't get the urge to stock the plates on top and place the reels in the dresser, well, unless you're single ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

wallacewt

that's a loverly showcase tiddly