Penn Torque 5

Started by the_reel_doc, September 03, 2014, 11:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_reel_doc

I bought a used Torque 5 that the guy said had been only used twice. I got it in and it looked to be as he said with only one little nick on it. I started to reel and as the spool got lower the reel began to tighten up. Right away I figured a bent spool shaft and after a second look could see the spool leaning to one side a bit. Well I had seen a post on here about an upgrade to the washer type shaft so I called Penn and they said I would have to send it in for repairs. Well, I am not called the reel doc for nothing so I decided to order the parts from Scott's. After ordering them I receive a call from them saying one of the parts were on back order so I thought well heck, I am not going to use the reel for surf fishing so I won't be getting any water in it so I said just send me the original shaft. Well it came in and after I pulled it apart I discovered this, which is why I am posting this.

One pic is of old shaft. No screw hole in crosswind block or shaft. Had a clip behind block holding shaft in place New shaft had a hole, course, I had to turn around and order the block with the hole. Got it done and it's working as it should.

foakes

Interesting, Reel Doc --

What is your guess on how this occurred?

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

the_reel_doc

Thinking I bought one of the very first runs and they might have had an issue with it and decided to go to the hole and screw. Not sure, but I know the new washer type shaft has the hole in them also. Should have seen me looking for the screw in the original before I noticed the clip!

johndtuttle

Does the reel also have a cross pin under the spool? If it does, then unfortunately you should get the spool shaft that supports a washer and allows for shimming. It makes a better seal for waterproofness as well.

I'm thinking you got a prototype reel sent out to a tester that didn't test it much  ;).