Jigmaster 500 upgrades

Started by Shark Hunter, September 03, 2014, 05:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 06, 2014, 08:33:56 PM
You forgot the Delrin Washer for under the Gear
No he didn't Mike, its the one all the way on the left with a larger ID than needed ::), but I'm going to make him slide ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

I see 3 SS washers - 3 HT 100 washers & 1 Delrin washer. If that's the bottom one then where is the top one.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

top or bottom that ID is still too wide on that delrin ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Dawn has the .5mm Carbontex washers. I will see how many of Bryan's metal sets I have. I have the .5 drag washers also if Dawn is out.

I'm doing one myself. Just waiting on the new gear sets.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Thanks Keith,
But, Bryan is back. I will get them from the source.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Ok,
Lets slap this Jigmaster together.

Since someone questioned my Delrin cutting capabilities. I redid these with a tight ID.

Business end almost done.

Prepping the frame. I notice the clamp studs are one piece instead of threading a nut to fit on the stud. I like it. Greased and ready.

Done, 5:1 Jigmaster with Tib Frame.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Not criticizing bud, just helping out... for what its worth, if you rather have that washer loser, go for it. ;)
Good job on that reel, now tell me how she feels with a delrin on top and bottom, do you feel the difference in smoothness compared to the others without?

bluefish69

Daron

For the handle side Flat Head Screws - Did you use Penn Screws or SS from McMaster.

McMaster Screws stick up slightly.

Mike

doradoben

You built a very nice Jigmaster, Daron, and I see that you have a few more laying on the table to practice on. ;)

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 08, 2014, 02:19:19 AM
Not criticizing bud, just helping out... for what its worth, if you rather have that washer loser, go for it. ;)
Good job on that reel, now tell me how she feels with a delrin on top and bottom, do you feel the difference in smoothness compared to the others without?
I didn't even realize the ID was that big until you pointed it out. I was concentrating on the OD too much.
I found that I could plunge straight in with my Dremel to keep the ID from getting out of hand. That washer moving around will only lead to trouble. Yes, the drag and star is smoother for sure.
Quote from: bluefish69 on September 08, 2014, 03:21:41 AM
Daron

For the handle side Flat Head Screws - Did you use Penn Screws or SS from McMaster.

McMaster Screws stick up slightly.

Mike
Just the stock screws Mike.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Daron, that's why I mentioned it. A little shifting of that washer and it could have interfered with the dogs.

Mike, I do use stainless steel screws from McMasters, yes they do stick up, but very little. On some older rings they might make it a little tight, but still work. I couldn't find a smaller one.

bluefish69

Then I guess that I have an older ring. I've had this problem before & know what to do. Do I want to spend the money for 6 Penn Screws OR spend the time grinding the heads??

I used Newell Bars & Reel Seat on this Jig Master with a Red Penn Spool

Mike

RUSTY OLD COLT

I an a little confused on the stock or custom gear set . What is the difference in the gears and can you use a stock drag set up in the custom gear set ?

Shark Hunter

The custom Gear is a little deeper. I have a stock 3 stack in mine and it fits fine.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6713.45
Life is Good!

RUSTY OLD COLT

Thanks for the quick reply.  I just ordered a custom set and will use the 3 stack on it and maybe later on I will go to a 5 stack.  My 501 is used mainly in the bays here on Long Island for fluke and sea bass.