Jigmaster 500 upgrades

Started by Shark Hunter, September 03, 2014, 05:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 08, 2014, 01:49:40 PM
Then I guess that I have an older ring. I've had this problem before & know what to do. Do I want to spend the money for 6 Penn Screws OR spend the time grinding the heads??

I used Newell Bars & Reel Seat on this Jig Master with a Red Penn Spool

Mike
I would, screw them in a post and run them on a belt sander.
Rubbing them on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface will also work and gives you the exercise needed for the day ;). I'm not crazy about stock screws, the slot is just too shallow. Mine are Phillips head stainless steel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Colt

The 501 can be used for Blues & Stripers as well. I have used this size reel for Cod & Blacks. We are not far apart.  I'm in Queens L.I.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Maybe I scrolled too fast but I did not see a pic with a bucket of bricks being hoisted. ;D

Shark Hunter

I follow a lot of Sal's work Dwight, but a Bucket of Bricks is not one of them. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Daron, I'm not the only one using the bucket, a few friends use it as well to test their drags.
You could use 8 bricks, fill it with water, chocolate syrup, fried chicken, whatever float your boat ;) ;D
I'm betting they will all weight the same around 40lbs +-, well except for the chicken ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 08, 2014, 04:39:14 PM
Then I guess that I have an older ring. I've had this problem before & know what to do. Do I want to spend the money for 6 Penn Screws OR spend the time grinding the heads??

I used Newell Bars & Reel Seat on this Jig Master with a Red Penn Spool

Mike

I'm thinking Belt Sander or Wife -- Belt Sander or Wife. This is a tough question we live in a 2 Bedroom Apartment. I can't post the answer she might read it.
I would, screw them in a post and run them on a belt sander.
Rubbing them on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface will also work and gives you the exercise needed for the day ;). I'm not crazy about stock screws, the slot is just too shallow. Mine are Phillips head stainless steel.

VW

I have four 500's and two 505's with the same screws Alto Mare is talking about. They assemble and function fine.  I did run the flat over a stone to make sure there were not any burrs.  I use them because I can use a much stronger and longer screw. 

Lensters

Quote from: VW on September 09, 2014, 03:58:55 PM

I have four 500's and two 505's with the same screws Alto Mare is talking about. They assemble and function fine.  I did run the flat over a stone to make sure there were not any burrs.  I use them because I can use a much stronger and longer screw. 

I use a Dremel, coarse sharpening stone and some cutting oil to reshape the SS screws I use.  It might take a bit longer but I like the results.  I bought a selection of SS screws and use the longest that will fit except in the stand (don't want those sticking out too much).
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

bluefish69

I have a set of 2"X6" Diamond Stones to break in. This should work out.

Mike