Senator 6/0 drag problems

Started by Greybadger, September 03, 2014, 06:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybadger

Hi Guys,

Said I'd report back once I'd fitted the new drag stack. Jeff, I ordered the stack of carbon and steel washers from Mick at Penn Parts, thanks for the recommendation. Whilst at it I thought I'd go the whole hog and order some other parts from the US - stainless gear set, sleeve, dog and yoke. Fitted all this morning, and just tested it. It's certainly smoother than it was previously, but under tighter drag pressures it still sticks a bit. Guess it was the washers after all. Much improved though and maybe it just needs time to bed in, and in any case the pressure at which it starts to get slightly sticky is probably more than I will need for most fishing over here in  the UK.

Testing the max, I tightened it as much as my little fingers would manage and I got 22lbs of drag, but wouldn't fancy having to loosen that star in a hurry during a fight! I guess as it beds in, I might start to get more.

So, overall, pleased with the improvement, it's now a more usable reel and I'm confident it'll handle anything I'm likely to come across in these waters.

Once again guys, many many thanks for all your input and helpful comments.

Mark.

Alto Mare

Glad it improved for you Mark. If you follow my comment on the fourth posting on this thread, the one about delrin, it probably would have helped with sticky drags.
22 lbs isn't bad for that reel using stock drags. Sounds like you're happy with it, so it might be best to just let it go at this point.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

During the diagnosis and elimination of possible causes -- you have come a long way.

However, that reel should be as smooth as warm butter.

Since you went through the expense of upgrading the internals -- the thing you might consider, is like Sal said -- replace the under gear washer with one made of Delrin.  If you can't find one from Mick at Penn -- let is know so we can send you one

This will likely get you closer to 100%.

Do not grease the Delrin...

Did you grease the new drag stack CFs with "drag grease" -- either Cal's or Shimano?  This procedure, along with the Delrin UG washer will work wonders -- better than new.

Let us know...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Greybadger

Hi Fred,

Yes, greased lightly using Cals. I didn't look into Delrin washers but will ask Mick if he has any. Thanks for the offer.

Mark

foakes

Hi Mark --

A suggestion -- when you install the Delrin UG washer, take out your drag stack and apply some more Cal's drag grease -- and we are assuming you are using a grease differently on the gears and internals -- like Penn or Yamaha Marine grease.  The Marine part is important, because it means salt water resistant.

You do not need to overdo it -- but any extra will just be squeezed out of the stack anyway -- and what is left is exactly the right amount.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Greybadger

Fred, I use Cals on the drag washers and Yamalube on the gears. I've emailed Mick about a delrin washer but unless they're a standard Penn line I doubt he'll do it.

foakes

Hi Mark --

Delrin is not a Penn part -- but it should be -- maybe sometime in the future it will be standard.

More and more of the manufacturers are listening to Alan and others on this Board -- and some of the ideas are being implemented in new reels.

Carl Newell once told me in his plant -- fish it hard, make it break, analyze how to make it simpler and stronger, engineer the new idea, then go out and try to break it again.  Carl never stopped trying to improve on his designs and ideas.  His testing ground and the folks who tried out his angling innovations -- were basically the San Diego fleet.

PM your mailing address -- and we will get a couple of washers off to you at no charge.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

bluefish69

Fred

The 4-60 Thrust Washers that Scott's sells is Delrin. Dawn sells the same washer with the same part # as Scott's. NN sent me a few pieces of Delrin & all are the same material. So Penn might be stocking the washers.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Greybadger

Fred,

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I've emailed you my address but suggest you wait for a day or so until i've heard back from Mick.

Mark

jeff smith

Mark,
Keep us posted. I've just returned from a,shark trip and my 4/0s got a bit of a workout and displayed fairly smooth drag operation but if the delrin washers are available from Mick,i'd be up for some replacements on my Senators..............My 6/0 porbeagle reels would probably benefit even more.

Greybadger

Jeff, i've taken Fred up on his kind offer to send me some Delrin. Mick doesn't sell delrin washers but is trying to find a suitable Teflon equivalent that will fit under the main gear. However, it's not a stock part so he's having to mill out one from another reel, if he finds one of a similar size.

Greybadger

Fred/Sal, thanks so much guys for sending me those delrin washers, they arrived today. I've fitted one under the main gear and reassembled it. Have to say, at the moment I'm not noticing much difference, but that may be that it still needs some use to bed in the new washers completely. I may have a go at putting one on the top of the stack as well and see what that does. Cheers again.

Mark.

foakes

Hi Mark --

You should notice the difference using the Delrin -- over time, and in actual fishing.

One big advantage is that they tend not to compress, break down, or become flattened out under actual long term usage.  They remain smooth and consistent-- that is what you are looking for.

Many thanks to Sal!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

jeff smith

Quote from: Greybadger on September 17, 2014, 08:04:33 AM
Jeff, i've taken Fred up on his kind offer to send me some Delrin. Mick doesn't sell delrin washers but is trying to find a suitable Teflon equivalent that will fit under the main gear. However, it's not a stock part so he's having to mill out one from another reel, if he finds one of a similar size.

Thanks for keeping us posted Mark.In that case as Mick doesn't stock them, I think I'll contact Dawn at get some delrins for my 4/0s and 6/0s. I love an excuse to tear those babies down.LOL

jonnou

Mark I think you have to keep looking for the problem
I have done two of these reels now and they are super smooth
Washers?