SAYING HELLO

Started by mike155, September 03, 2014, 01:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike155

Just wanted to say hello.I found yalls site from searching about old penn reels.This place is a wealth of info and seems like some really nice folks.I have caught the bug for the old penns and working on reels.I also recently started building my on rods too.Thanks for having me.

Michael

Shark Hunter

Welcome Michael! ;D
Glad to Have you!
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Aloha!     Welcome Mike
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

jonnou

Kia ora from New Zealand
Jon

mike155

Thanks everybody glad  to be here. ;D

foakes

Welcome aboard, Mike --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Quote from: mike155 on September 03, 2014, 01:45:28 PM
I have caught the bug for the old Penns and working on reels.

Join the club! And a virulent bug it is, too. 

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mike155

Quote from: Aiala on September 04, 2014, 02:11:50 PM
Quote from: mike155 on September 03, 2014, 01:45:28 PM
I have caught the bug for the old Penns and working on reels.

Join the club! And a virulent bug it is, too. 

~A~

I know i went into the shop last night to work one reel.I ended up bieng in there for 2 hours and took another reel apart after i got the first one back togther.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: mike155 on September 04, 2014, 03:07:33 PM
I know, I went into the shop last night to work one reel. I ended up being in there for 2 hours and took another reel apart after I got the first one back togther.

Hoo boy, you've got it bad. Fun, right?? Hold on to your wallet, LOL  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

Quote from: mike155 on September 04, 2014, 03:07:33 PM
I know i went into the shop last night to work one reel.I ended up bieng in there for 2 hours and took another reel apart after i got the first one back togther.

I had a rewiring job on lighting in a commercial unit to do yesterday (better $ per hour than making parts but boring) and stopped by my shop to get my electrical tools on the way to the "job".  UNFORTUNATLY I looked at my work bench and saw the beater 113H I put a PRO Challenger 4:1 gear set in last week, I am much happier with them than the Newell set in my 113H "Tank".  Well....I saw the reels and decided to tinker with a maroon side plate I picked up for the "Tank".  After 2 hours or so of work on getting the double dog cut out done, fitting the dog and stripping down the 2 113H side plates the person that I was "working for" called and asked about his job....oh well, I owe, I owe so it's off to work I go.  

BTW, I also took apart one of my 349's to see if I can make a new Penn reel clamp work on them and checked the retrieve rate between a 113H and 349H, the 3.25:1 349H has close to the same inches per crank of line retrieve as the 4:1 113H.  A 4:1 gear set for the 349 would be nice.

Now I have 3 MORE reels apart in boxes on my bench. ;D

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Welcome from the Sacramento Delta...
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mike155

Thats funny.I have found this to be really enjoyable so far.I took a part my 155 last night and upgraded it with ht-100 and give it a good cleaning.Also took apart my china made jigmaster500.I added a stanless gear sleave and carbontex drag washers and gave it a good cleaning.I also magged it.I am a river fisherman for big flathead cats and blues.After magging the reel i am getting 65yard cast with 6oz of wieght with no use of the thumb and no backlash.