My 1st Reel Build - Jigmaster 500

Started by coastal_dan, September 03, 2014, 08:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Very nice looking project. Well done.

coastal_dan

Figured I'd just update this post rather than start a new one...

Good things DO come in small packages...

Joining the Double Dog Club. ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Keta

I have #2 waiting for me to decide were to put it.  I tried to make work in my 112HN but it will not.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Great build and keep it going! Next pics with the beauty you catch on it

coastal_dan

Reels aren't for catching fish!! ;D  Haha, I plan on sharking with it in April/May - then Sebass/Deep Drops in the summer and Fall.  It would do nicely trolling for stripers as well.
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

dammiitttt thats a sweet jigmonster; that silver Tib pops. I think i have four of those with the burgandy sideplates; could even be 60's vintage (now i want silver Tib frames on them).  In 1972-73 Penn issued the 500S, which had Delrin plates that were a brighter red but chipped easier than bakelite; i have several 500S's also and you may find some interesting SS goodies in them not in other 500's. 500S also has left sideplate removal instead of right. I converted two of my 500L's over to a 501 hybrid with SS spools, Newell stands and crossbars and power handles for jigging off NC and also used them for black sea bass. Spooled with 50 or 65 braid and nary an issue. i did topshot over mono though; no need for 500 yds of braid on this reel.

great build you have there.

Marcq

Nice transformation and what I like is that they can come all unique, easily adapted to all kinds of fishing  8)

Marc..

coastal_dan

Ok, all installed last night, ended up going with the 10.5 mm spacer for more drag adjustment.  Looks like the factory unit is just about 11.5 mm.  How tight should that spacer be in the available hole?  Mine is quite tight, you can feel slight resistance when you reel, so I'm thinking of taking it apart and sanding it down a bit both on the inside and outside...had to be slightly tapped on with a rubber mallet.  Other than that the reel feels awesome, this thing is beastly.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Alto Mare

Dan, let it go.Those were designed to be very tight at first, they will work themselves in after using it a few times.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Dan, as per our PM....this would make a really nice 30# reel. Plus if you get another spool you could put some depth counter braid and it could double as a jigging reel! Just a thought
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Penn tolerances are all over the place, I have some reels I could not press the spacer in, others fit like I hand lapped them.  Once the spacer is in place the handle feels much more solid.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

coastal_dan

Sweet!  Thanks guys!

Sal - That Delrin washer is sweet, ended up using the smaller diameter one under the main gear because the larger one sat on top of the second dog spring pin.  But, I couldn't add the one under the tension spring, it was a little tight with Brians drag kit.  She is now almost Shimano smooth....almost, haha ;D

Keta - You're right, it feels like a different reel.  It had a bit of play before which I just said, "Meh, it's an old Penn..." but now, wow what a difference.

Bob - good point!  The plan is to grab another spool and fill it with 50 lb braid for seabass; you're right though could be a decent rod for the smaller tuna, already have a 30 lb stick for it.
Dan from Philadelphia...