My 1st Reel Build - Jigmaster 500

Started by coastal_dan, September 03, 2014, 08:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

UPDATED PHOTOS BELOW  8)

Good Afternoon All!  I was so excited about building my 'family passed down' Jigmaster that this will be a pre-build post.  I'll be adding pictures along the way.  I'm starting out kind of slow, but my hopes are to build it up little by little.  In the future I'd like to add the S.S. Gearing 5:1 kit, the 5+1 drag kit and a Stainless Spool but all in due time!  First things first, thanks to Alan, Dawn and ChowderPuff for their input and products; as well as many of you that have posted builds and resurrections! So, on the way are...

Tiburon P20 Frame
Tiburon Lite Handle and Arm
Carbontex 3+1 Drag Kit
S.S. Gear Sleeve
S.S. Dog
Cals Grease
CorrosionX
Penn Lube and Grease (Blue)

Some of you have seen this photo but just in case...here is the reel currently awaiting new parts...

Let the games begin!

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

That is one pretty handle...my favorite classic color.  I'm sure she'll be a beaut!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Ron Jones

Great raw material. A 5:1 Jigmaster is a casting machine, I'd recommend an aluminium spool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mike155

Her nice looking reel. I have a 500 jig master that I am starting on myself

coastal_dan

All my parts (as well as a new FF/CP for my Hobie) come today  ;D  So in my excitement for all of the items I decided to clean my little work bench.  Fun fact, it is original with the house which was built in 1956, we moved in 1 year ago and I plan to keep this neat part of the house history....please excuse the crappy phone pic.  Moving forward the DSLR will be utilized...

Dan from Philadelphia...

DaBigOno

Looking forward to more pics of your build Dan.

Work bench looks pretty sweet too!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

coastal_dan

What a blast!  Can't wait to do more...

And now onto the next one!!!

Thanks for looking!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Shark Hunter

Good Job Dan! ;) I love those Silver Tibs. ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Beautiful Dan.  If you plan to fish the silver Jigmaster, I recommend laying a layer of Dacron/Spectra down up to and over the ridges of the hub of spool.  Those spools are 3 pieces and will spread if filled with mono.  Or find a silver aluminum spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

Thanks guys!

Bryan - Good to know!  I guess that will be next on the list then.  I see a 29L-500 in black, which would actually look pretty cool with the black handle.  I'll be putting your drag kit to use once I get the S.S. gears and the double dog kit.  Hearing the single dog click gets my heart racing, can't wait to hear two....tap..tap..tap..tap

Sal has given me some great suggestions on the 180, so that will be a fun one as well.  I'm assuming this little hobby gets addictive...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Lensters

Quote from: coastal_dan on September 09, 2014, 06:57:46 PMI'm assuming this little hobby gets addictive...

I would say you are correct.  When I get around to taking pictures I'll be posting 30-40 reels in the for sale section.  I just have to finish a few friend's and "customer's" reels first.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Aiala

Quote from: coastal_dan on September 09, 2014, 06:57:46 PM
I'm assuming this little hobby gets addictive...

I nominate that for Understatement of the Year!   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Big Tim

Welcome to the dark side  ;D  The dark side is powerful here  ;D ;D ;D Very nice work & I too like them Silver Tib frames

Big Tim