Penn 155

Started by mike155, September 04, 2014, 10:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

You are also part of the crew Aiala.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

"A"

Now you made me Blush

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

broadway

Aiala, we wish more women came on here to explain to our wives, significant others, girlfriends, etc. that what we do is perfectly normal. ::)
You're feminine touch is a pleasure and breath of fresh air with all this testosterone floating around here. ;D
PS-Change out that handle if you're gonna fish it... they are uncomfortable due to the sharp point they come to.
Enjoy your 155,
Dom

George4741

Well, I'll be darned, I learned something today.  I've never heard of the 151 and 201 until now.  I also thought her 151 was a typo. 

Some of my first Penns were 155's.  They were newer models with plain tailplates.  I donated two to a good cause and, because I'm narrow minded, I converted the remaining one to the 180 width.
viurem lliures o morirem

Superhook

Note "156" logo , no star drag and stippled head plate .

No stamping on foot.

Stippled tail plate , at top above graphics.

Mike posted the photos of the #151 & #201  so the reel above is a #156.  Which is really a #155 without the star drag. Same time frame as the #151.

Alto Mare

Ray and Mike, you guys are amazing.
The 151,156 and 201 are not close to impossible to find, those are impossible to find.
Hearing about it is one thing, but to actually being able to see it is another. Thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Superhook

Sal ,

Those three reels are fairly difficult to find. I think it makes it easier to find when you've seen one rather than searching from a description only .The boxes are near enough to impossible . I have only ever seen one of the three boxes. You can add the #170 to this trio of no-drag ,hard to find , almost unknown bunch.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12512.0  Mike posted the #170 here.

Ray

Penn Chronology

Nice Model 156 Ray, I especially like the rope that it is spooled up with..................... ;) Is that #12 Cuttyhunk?

I have noticed that these non-star drag models are not coming up for sale as often as they did in the past, say 10 years ago. I feel they may be a bit of hoarding going on with some collectors, (you and I are not included in that bunch of hoarders, of course :-\)

Of the group mentioned, I feel the Model 170 is the toughest find.

broadway

I have to agree, mike. That 170 is pretty elusive ...I've been hunting that reel for a bit now.
You'll know when I get one. I'll have a party when I get one. ;D
You've got some collection, Ray. Very impressive!
Love these rare birds,
Dom

foakes

The older Penn sideplates are becoming tougher to find in any condition.

While getting back to my Penn rebuild project to hopefully put around 50 old Penns back in service -- I got down to the bottom of some of the bins while searching for other plates.

These are 95% NOS -- I keep the used plates separate.

A few interesting ones -- 130, 85, 78, 80, 185, 350, 285, 9, 27, 165, 79, 77, 109, 250, 25, 180, 200, 14.

I just picked out 1 or 2 examples of each for pics -- but I am curious about the last set -- 14 Atlantic.

Cannot find much about this reel in Mike's book.

Just wondering about any further information from Michael, Ray, or others -- about this old 14?

Thanks,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Superhook

Fred,

Pages 84,85 & 86 of Mike's book is about the #14 & #15 reels.  Basic cheap reels from 1939 and on. Penn made lots of these with different logos for the trade shops. Page #86 has 17 of the 23 moulds used in making these side plates for these trade reels. 

Ray

foakes

Thanks, Ray!

Found it...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

coastal_dan

That's enough awesome for one day, haha!  That 156 is gorgeous.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteI just picked out 1 or 2 examples of each for pics -- but I am curious about the last set -- 14 Atlantic.

Cannot find much about this reel in Mike's book.

Fred,

The Penn 14 was introduced in 1939 and stayed the Penn Model 14 up until before the war. After the war, Penn did return the Penn Model 14 to production and added the "Atlantic" name to the reel. You can see that in the Summaries in the back of the book on page 248. As a collecting aid, the Summaries have become one of my favorite ways of getting a quick answer to history questions like when was a reel model introduced, discontinued, etc.

foakes

Thanks, Mike --

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.