Penn 155

Started by mike155, September 04, 2014, 10:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

As I mentioned above, most of these reels could be narrowed.
My buddy Ted usually likes to keep his reels as original as possible, but some how I changed his mind on this beautiful 25 ;D. enjoy it! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

It's all your fault Sal....Factory original is a broad definition when all the parts to narrow the reel came from same era, so I'm sticking with all original with a little bit 'o Italian influence. ;D

The easiest way to narrow this reel would have been to use a 180 or a 27, but I wanted a clamp seat and the 180 saltwater stand isn't clamp capable. So I used a 49 seat, which in turn led me to use 49 frame posts. These frame posts are about double the diameter of the 180 posts, which I believe makes it beefier. Then I had to buy a separate spool.....all of which made narrowing this grey reel a labor of love $$$. Like I already said, the easy way is to use a 180 or 27 as a donor reel, then you wont have to use parts off 2-3 reels to make 1.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Aiala

Here's my old-time 155, all refurbished and refreshed... vintage handle courtesy of Alan T (Hail to the Chief!), perfect aluminum spool courtesy of Alto Mare (thanks a bunch, Sal!), Cal greased CF drags, plus lots of obsessive fussing and cleaning by me (doesn't the tail plate look nice?):

Now all I need to do is decide what lb test mono to use. I know Penn rates it at 250 yds of 30, but I'm more inclined to try 25, 20, or even 17; what d'you think?

SOA, here we come!   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Nice transformation Aiala, that table top doesn't look too bad either. Lots of luck with that baby ;).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Looks Great Aiala! Nice Job. ;)
Life is Good!

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on February 05, 2015, 10:29:21 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 04, 2015, 11:47:04 PM

sal, sal, sal, we've gotta talk........   ;D

I thought I was sick  ;D Alan, I think he's too far gone for talkin'

Shark Hunter

I hear ya Tim. I picked up a couple of those spools and stands before He bought them all! ;D
Life is Good!

broadway

Aiala, Nice job on the face lift.  Maybe its my eyes, maybe its my computer, but can you take a photo of the head plate straight on?  It doesn't look like stippling and it doesn't look smooth to me... what is it?
Thanks and may you be graced with a fish of a lifetime on that beauty.
As for you, Ted.  That reel came out sweet! Looks like a war made reel with the grey plates... beef up the internals and it'll be a mini-tank. ;D
Thanks for sharing,
Dom

Aiala

Quote from: broadway on February 09, 2015, 12:37:39 AM
Aiala, Nice job on the face lift.  Maybe its my eyes, maybe its my computer, but can you take a photo of the head plate straight on?  It doesn't look like stippling and it doesn't look smooth to me... what is it? Dom

Thanks, Dom!  ;D  Your wish is my command... here:

Is there anything unusual about the head plate? I didn't think so, but what do I know?  ::)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

George4741

Beautiful reel, Ted.

Aiala, your reel cleaned up nicely.  I'm glad you decided not to risk ruining that very nice original mottled brown plastic spool.
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

Aiala,

The Model 155 came out fine. It will make a great fishing reel.

The head plate and tail plate are pretty standard for the 1940's and 50's.

I have a soft spot for the Model 155. It was my first fishing reel. I bought it in the 1950's for $5.00, used it for 50 years and then sold it for $10.00. Wish I could that with my cars............... ;D

broadway

Thanks Aiala! Nope, it's standard. it just looked different from the angle on the first photos.
Can't wait to see the big one you get with your shiny new tool.
Have fun,
Dom

Penn Chronology

Is there anything unusual about the head plate? I didn't think so, but what do I know?  Roll Eyes

~A~

Aiala,

I found mine. It is a 1950 model, all original, pre-part numbers reel. It is a pretty close match to yours, even with the mottled spool. The spool is a light weight spool designed for casting and bay fishing with old linen lines.

No part numbers on spool bearing or handle screw. Standard stippled head plate.

Old style tail plate bearing with only the word "Oil" on it and old picture plate.

No stampings at all on the bottom of the stand.

the classic mottled spool. I do not believe these spools were used for too long a time. Most old Model 155 have a black plastic spool. I feel the old black spools were a little heavier than these mottled versions. These broke easier than the black ones.

No part numbers on the reverse side of the handle or the star wheel.

No part numbers on the inside of the trim rings.

This one sits on a shelf. Yours is ready for duty. Either way, they are both classics.

coastal_dan

Too cool, that spool is awesome.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Shark Hunter

I am following Aiala's lead on this. Since she showed her 155, I pretty much had a carbon copy, only in a much poorer condition. I put the narrow spool on it and did the same.

I used the McMaster Carr screws on this one.
She is rough, but I will fish her just the same. ;)
Life is Good!