Penn 155

Started by mike155, September 04, 2014, 10:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

After seeing the reels belonging to Aiala and Mike with the brown and black mottled spools, I've decided to show my 165.  It's one of the knucklebusters from the Beachmaster family.   

I think it is all original since no numbers are stamped on any part.  I cleaned it up but decided not to replace the pitted parts, believing it will retain more collector's value.  When did Penn start stamping numbers on the parts?

BTW Daron, even though your narrow 155 is pitted, I'm sure it is only cosmetic.  Knowing you, the insides are well maintained.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Daron, slowly  you're doing every reels that Penn ever made, I know you must be running out of room, don't ask me how I know ;D.
I might need to get down there and build you a custom cabinet ;D. Love those narrows.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 16, 2015, 03:17:53 AM
I am following Aiala's lead on this. Since she showed her 155, I pretty much had a carbon copy, only in a much poorer condition. I put the narrow spool on it and did the same.

I used the McMaster Carr screws on this one.
She is rough, but I will fish her just the same. ;)

Beautiful work! Im glad you are loving the SS screws as much as I am!

Shark Hunter

Thanks Guys,
Sal, I'm just learning from you guys. I've had that old 155 sitting around forever. Pitted posts and rings.
After seeing what can be done to it. I jumped at the chance. ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I don't know about that, at the rate you're going, we'll be learning from you ;).
Ron got me started on these smaller reels a year ago, I was never interested. I used a few this past year and really enjoy them. Don't let the small gears fool you. Maybe the small diameter has something to do with it :-\, these tiny reels are tough.
I am making a few for some friends.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Sal,
I'm just trying to give as much as I take. ;D I Caught on quick to that spool mod. I think the possibilities here are endless on these.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

That's what makes this site one of the best around, we all learn from each other.

Keta

Other than weight is there any advantages the 155 has over a 200?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

QuoteOther than weight is there any advantages the 155 has over a 200?

Yes, the 155 is about half the price of the 200........  ;)

Keta

D'oh! 

I have several 100s, a few 150s and 2 200s now and I'm trying to justify a 155 that I will use some of my spare 100 parts on to make a narrow 155.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Lee,
The 29L-100 spool and 30-49 stand with some 100 posts is all it takes.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 16, 2015, 08:05:42 AM
Lee,
The 29L-100 spool and 30-49 stand with some 100 posts is all it takes.

Yup, and I have them.

Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

This has turned into a mix and match thread. It is a testament to the parts interchangeability of modern products. It was not always like that.

Here's one.

What are they?

George4741

Quote from: Keta on February 16, 2015, 06:42:41 AM

Other than weight is there any advantages the 155 has over a 200?

The only advantage I see between my reels is the 200 has the quick-change spool feature.  My 200 also has the smaller -155 drag washers so, no drag advantage there.  I've since narrowed my 155 and 200 to the 180/100 width.  With all of the other reels I have, I wouldn't rush out and buy a 155 unless I had some strange compelling desire to have one. ::)    

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 16, 2015, 04:45:32 PM
This has turned into a mix and match thread. It is a testament to the parts interchangeability of modern products. It was not always like that.

Here's one.

What are they?

I think a widened 4/0 and a narrowed Long Beach 68.  You swapped spools and spacer bars, perhaps?  Penn's parts interchangeability is a wonderful thing.

I did something similar when I narrowed a black 4/0 by using a Newell YTS reelfoot and Long Beach 66 spool (what we sometimes call a grouper special).  I realize this has probably been done before, but I'd never seen or read of someone else doing it.
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteI think a widened 4/0 and a narrowed Long Beach 68.  You swapped spools and spacer bars, perhaps?  Penn's parts interchangeability is a wonderful thing.

Good eye, you are correct about the spools and spacer bars but it is the stand swap that makes this interchange really happen. You have to use the 113HLW stand on the 4/O plates and a 200 stand on the Penn 68 plates. Fun stuff! :D