Penn 650ss Uneven spooling/ wraps problem

Started by joe7, September 11, 2014, 04:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe7

what is the cause of uneven spooling/ wraps at my penn 650ss?is there any way for me to repair it?
thanks  :)

Shark Hunter

Welcome Joe!
I am no expert on the spinners, but it has to be something with the worm gear mechanism. A professional will be right with you shortly. ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Hi Joe --

Likely a Teflon washer or two ( thrust washer) under the spool would bring the line more evenly onto the spool.

Sometimes they get worn down or lost when the spool is removed.

Once the line starts to build up unevenly, it tends to keep tracking and expand the issue even worse.

Washers should be about 1/16" thick.

Whether or not you plan to replace the line, remove the line down to the spool hub -- then carefully crank it back on under a little back pressure -- paying attention to how the line is laying down.

Good luck, and let us know if there are still issues -- or if you're good.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

As Fred mentioned, try a thicker washer for under the spool and see if that helps, that is the most common place to look.
There are also other possibilities, remove the crosswind block and see if you notice any imperfections with the grove or if the pin on the crosswind gear that the block rides on is lose..it doesn't take much.
How you load the reel is also important, I use even pressure and always make sure the line spool faces the same direction as the spool on the reel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Something like this should be standard -- particularly when using braid --

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Fred, they don't make them like they used to.
To come up with a tank of a spinning reel, they should keep the 20+ bearings out of it :-\.
They have come up with many upgrades, but no change to the design itself has ever been made, they're basically all the same today.
I've been playing around with ideas in my head on how to eliminate an oscillating spool, maybe a spool could be fixed and have the arm slide up and down instead... as a levelwind. I would make that arm slide by using a separate gear mounted directly on the handle shaft and keep the main gear on its own. Spinners usually have too many parts that work together from one gear
Here is what I came up with while playing around with my pencil ;D

If that fixed arm above the sliding arm would hold tension, this might work.
It would eliminate bails, bail arms and rollers and best of all, line twists.
Don't forget, if you happen to see this reel on a shelf in a couple of years, keep in mind, you've seen it here first ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

You are a talented, and imaginative engineer, Sal!

How would you cast your prototype reel?

How do you think the line could be released easily from the tensioner and pick-up?

I'm with you on the too complicated, and too many bearing reels.

I have maintained that reel manufacturers that advertise how many ball bearings their latest and greatest reel has -- are just throwing up a smoke screen because graphite (an expensive name for plastic) reels need bearings just to pretend they are metal reels.

A graphite frame reel can only be taken apart and serviced a few times.  After that the screw holes become enlarged, and looser -- due to self tapping screws with coarse threads.  No matter how expensive they are -- they are not as good as a metal, well engineered, dead simple old Penn, Quick, Cardinal, Daiwa, Mitchell, etc..

In my opinion only, of course...And I am glad they make graphite reels -- they are a steady supply of client reels to repair and service.

Here is an old Pflueger Pelican spinner from around 1965.  The spool is fixed -- and the rotor actually cycles up and down -- not the spool.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

Fred, that's how good things happen, draw just a line and keep adding as you go. For the casting on that reel, well, that's your turn ;D. No, I believe something could be done there, as releasing the pressure as you cast. This is just a general idea, the rest would be up to the engineers, that's what they get paid for ;D.
That pflueger is an amazing design, I've seen a few on line, but never took the time to take a closer look. I had no idea that the spool was fixed.
Yeah, they keep mentioning that graphite will twist and snap at around 20lbs on here and should be ok if kept lower :-\. I have seen it on my smaller spinner, noticed no S on spinner, that was my only one and it didn't last very long in my hands.
Thank you Fred for educating us on these vintage treasures, you're an asset to our team ;).
Now I need to hunt one of those down, I believe they're very reasonable and I need to hold one ;D.

Joe, sorry for pulling away from your original question, I do believe we gave you some good answers. Still, let us know if it helped or if you need more advice, there are many members here that could help you out.
Welcome by the way.
Sal

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 13, 2014, 09:42:54 AM

Joe, sorry for pulling away from your original question, I do believe we gave you some good answers. Still, let us know if it helped or if you need more advice, there are many members here that could help you out.
Welcome by the way.
Sal

Yes Sal,some good advice indeed.
Basically your spool needs moved forward a little.
Now Joe, please let us know if it solved your problem.

Robert Janssen

They have come up with many upgrades, but no change to the design itself has ever been made, they're basically all the same today.

Yup. To me, looking at spinning reels these days is just a long line of same, same, same, same, same.

I have one of these. I bought it only for the reason of new or different thinking. Neither the spool or the bail oscillates. Instead, the spool is mounted at an angle, to facillitate even line lay. No bearings or other gizmos anywhere.

I also have one of these (had, really. it met an untimely demise.) Sea Martin. Australian. Also an extremely simple design with perfect line lay.

Alto Mare

Doc, those are sweet! I do remember seeing the Sea Martin, amazing design. It's ridiculously simple and yet so awesome. You probably know I'm a mason by now, are those bricks in the background really small or is that reel a nice size?
Thanks for posting Doc, if there is anyone that could come up with a similar design that meets today's demands, it would be you ;).

Robert Janssen

Yes Sal, it is a fairly sizeable reel. Spool diameter is like 3 1/2, maybe 4".  It wouldn't need to be so big though of course.

(regular turn-of-the-last-century standard size bricks by the way, in a Flemish bond i think. Anecdotally, i knocked some of the render off once, and found the original mason's hundred-year-old notes and math work written on the wall underneath. So i left it that way.  :) )

joe7

thanks for all the reply..i'm on vacation right now, will try it after i return home.
;)

foakes

Sal --

Got an extra Pflueger Pelican you can have.

PM your address -- and I'll send it next week by Mail.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on September 14, 2014, 05:28:35 AM
Sal --

Got an extra Pflueger Pelican you can have.

PM your address -- and I'll send it next week by Mail.

Best,

Fred

You're very generous Fred, and I do appreciate your offer very much. I have my sights set on one on line from yesterday, if that doesn't work out I will surely get back to you.
As I said earlier, if there is anything that you can't get your hands on, let me know and maybe we get lucky, but I doubt very much that you would ever be in need of any parts ;D.
Thank you Fred!
Sal