Ocean City 945

Started by dedelade, September 14, 2014, 01:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedelade

Customer brought me a Ocean City 945 trolling reel that is in excellant condition.  Only thing wrong is it needs a new worm and pawl, part numbers 71T and 74C.  Anyone out there who has these two parts for sale?  Can you direct me to someone who can help.  Any help is appreciated.  Val

alantani

hopefully someone here will be able to help.  those have to be hard to come by. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dedelade

I do have one possible source, Bob's Reel Service.  He acquired a large inventory of Ocean City parts in the early 80's, but they weren't cataloged.  I have sent the old worm & pawl to him and he will attempt to find the parts in what he has there.  In the meantime I thought I would try this forum for help. 

foakes

That is the same issue I run into with some of the reel parts In the shop --

All of the Penn, DAM Quick, Garcia Mitchell, ABU, most of the Daiwa, and some of the Shimano parts are fairly well organized.

But others, like Heddon, OC, Bronson, Meisselbach, Shakespeare, Langley -- are in their proper boxes -- but I have no idea of the part numbers or what the parts fit without having the reel in my hands - or some really good pics with measurements in the photos for matching up.  And even then, sometimes it is impossible without the reel in hand.

Over the years, I have bought out a few closed tackle shops or reel repair guys.  So there are a lot of parts I will likely never use -- just because there is little demand -- and I cannot match up the proper part.

As an example, I have around 100 pounds of old Shakespeare parts from the 30s -- 50s.  All brand new old stock gears, shafts, washers, sideplates, level winds, handles, etc.. If I ever get around to restoring a bunch of old Shakes baitcasters -- they will be tough to find anywhere else.  But that has to be a labor of love -- since there is little or no demand for these reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

dedelade

I think most of us reel repair guys are in the same boat.  I also have drawers and drawers of Shakespeare, Mitchell, Diawa, Dam Quick etc., full of parts that are not identified.  They came with the business from the previous owner.  I don't have the time or knowledge of all the parts to identify them.  So I do like you, hunt for it when I am working on one of those old reels.  Time consuming.