The Chronological History of Penn Reels, 1932-1957

Started by Bucktail, September 23, 2014, 12:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseymic

Quote from: broadway on October 14, 2014, 02:00:07 PM
Definitely worth the extra dough. I saw then on eBay a while ago... Maybe give that a shot.
Dom

Thanks again Dom, will take a look.

Mike.

Irish Jigger

Jerseymic

broadway

Thanks for the heads up, Tom... I'm a buyer for sure!
Dom

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Maxed Out

This book should be called the pre-1957 penn bible. Surprising how many reels came and went thru the early years. I thought I knew of all the models from mid 1940's and newer, but Michael opened my eyes to the mysteriously non cataloged penn 49-A, which is a super wide version of the standard penn 49. They were produced for a small south African community, and according to Michaels history book, a few leftover wide spool 49-A models were sold in the USA. He has a very informative write-up about the 49-A in his book.

Wow, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool to stumble onto one of those rare wide 49's ???.....move forward 4 days, yep just 4 days later I stumbled onto one on fleabay for a buy it now price of pocket change.....Call it luck, or good timing, or whatever, but I'm very happy to have that wide 49 in my tiny collection. In an e-mail from Michael, he said it was extreme luck and timing both.

Since getting his book I have been looking for any unusual reels or literature, and I recently tripped and fell onto a mid 50's penn, unused in the original box, not a huge deal, except for it came with one of a kind catalog in half size format with color front, back, and inside pages. It has a color picture of a surf fisherman on the cover, and the thing almost fits in my chest pocket, in a size format never used since or previous. Michael confirmed it is one of one known to exist. I'll see about posting a few pics later if anyone is interested in seeing that catalog or the wide 49.

Tight lines, Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

This book has made the number one slot on my Christmas list this year.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

That's very cool, Ted... If love to see a wide 49 and that catalog.  Maybe he'll put your catalog in the revised version. Also, any chance you can get mike on here to hang out with us and become part of the family?
The book is awesome and can't wait till January until I can get back to it :'( ...life just got too busy.
Thanks for sharing your new finds... Would love to see 'em.
Dom

Jerseymic

Hi Ted,

I was also very lucky on eBay U.K. a while back, couldn't believe it, a 49A

After a bit of work it came up pretty clean.

Mike.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Jerseymic

If they don't turn up, will need a couple of parts for it to be totally happy, I am told I am too fussy and should lower my standards.

No chance, if it is going on display, it has to be perfect!!

foakes

Hi Mike --

What parts do you need?  I might have some for you.

What is different about this reel?

Obviously the stand, posts, spool -- and probably the markings on the sideplates.

What would it take to make a reel similar to this -- from an existing 49 or 349?

Spool, stand, posts.

Is that a metal spool? -- painted or anodized?

Nice reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jerseymic

Quote from: foakes on November 15, 2014, 02:39:24 PM
Hi Mike --

What parts do you need?  I might have some for you.

What is different about this reel?

Obviously the stand, posts, spool -- and probably the markings on the sideplates.

What would it take to make a reel similar to this -- from an existing 49 or 349?

Spool, stand, posts.

Is that a metal spool? -- painted or anodized?

Nice reel.

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred,

As far as I am aware it is as you say, stand (30-200), posts (37-67) and spool (plastic) which apparently is the rare beast.

The markings on the sideplates on mine are the same as the 49, and when I picked it up it appeared totally untouched (didn't appear to have been messed with) I am unaware if there were any sideplates marked 49A, perhaps someone can enlighten us on
that point. I need to get this book, just waiting to see if it appears for sale in the U.K., will save a lot of postage!

The part I was initially looking for was an unmarked chrome left outer sideplate ring, Sal is kindly trying to hunt one down for me but no luck yet, I know Scott's still has a limited supply but sometimes even new parts have scratches!

I have tried to polish out the scratches on the handle to no avail, so I also need an unmarked 24-49 chrome torpedo knob counter balanced handle.

The condition of the knob itself is unimportant, as it can easily be replaced, but the chrome has to be perfect as the reel is for display.

So those are the only two parts I need to make it mint!

A few more photos. The last one of the left sideplate was as it arrived, before I set to work, cleaning and polishing.

Both sideplates and spool had that matt aged tarnish, couldn't have that on display ;D

Thank you Fred,

Best wishes,

Mike.

broadway

Mike,
    Sweet find! I was wondering why you're looking for unmarked side plate rings and handle if it doesn't have the unmarked handle nut? Also, I can't tell from the photos but it looks like the eccentric levers are the newer variety because they don't have the knurling or lines across them at the top.
That reel is in beautiful condition... I'll also keep my eyes open for ya.
Thanks for showing,
Dom

Alto Mare

We got lucky Mike, but I will need a little time for it to get to me and I'll send it out to you.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.